Phlebotomists enjoy of the most personally rewarding careers in a medical setting. These trained technicians assist doctors and patients by drawing blood accurately for diagnostic tests. A Phlebotomist possesses the skill to draw blood correctly for submission to testing laboratories in accordance with a doctor’s instructions. Skilled technicians in this field can extract samples with a minimum of pain for the patient. If you’ve ever considered working in a health care environment, then you might want to pursue an education to become a Phlebotomist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Albuquerque
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements & Eligibility
At the present time, no states issue Phlebotomy licenses. However, four states do require a technician to seek certification in this field in order to work as a Phlebotomy Technician: Louisiana, Nevada, California and Washington. A capable Phlebotomist must possess the ability to read and write in order to read test requests from physicians or diagnostic labs. These technicians also must meet health and safety rules established by medical facilities. Although formal eligibility requirements do not exist for this occupation, as a practical matter most employers will only hire Phlebotomists who have sought certifications to demonstrate competency drawing blood. Typically, a learner who has taken classes and received a certificate in Phlebotomy will then sit for an examination from a recognized independent certifying organization to become a fully Certified Phlebotomist.
Application Process & Costs
Since no state issues a license for Phlebotomy, few institutions offer formal degree programs in this subject. Technicians in this field sometimes hold degrees in unrelated subjects. Most colleges and schools accepting students into fast Phlebotomy training require at least a high school diploma or GED, however. Prices can range from slightly under $1,000 for a quick Phlebotomy course to $4,000 or more for courses in this subject that include extensive preparation or several semesters.
Many students in Albuquerque attend formal long term medical programs in nursing or medicine that also offer experience collecting blood samples from patients. Quite a number of people who plan on entering the Phlebotomy field seek certificates in Phlebotomy through briefer study in a program offered by a college or vocational school. Some locally accessible educational institutions that teach students how to draw blood as part of the curriculum include these resources:
University of New Mexico, 1634 University Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102;
Central New Mexico Community College, 525 Buena Vista Drive SE, Albuquerque, NM 87106;
Santa Fe Community College, 6401 Richards Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87508
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Several recognized bodies offer credentials in Phlebotomy. Some require Phlebotomists to re-certify at regular intervals by passing examinations to establish their proficiency. Others mandate ongoing continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
Phlebotomists receive an average annual salary of $31,890. They typically earn hourly compensation in the United States ranging between a low of $10.65 and $21.06. Job prospects in the field appear outstanding, due to the aging of the large Baby Boomer demographic. By 2020, the United States Department of Labor predicts that many additional Phlebotomists will find employment as a result of the need to collect blood samples from a growing senior population under medical care. Phlebotomists sometimes work part-time, or during weekend or night shifts. Taking a Phlebotomy class may launch a student on a path towards a very rewarding career.