Drawing blood is difficult enough. However, with the proper education, a phlebotomist in Alaska can do well for themselves.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Alaska
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- MS Sport Management
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
To be a phlebotomist, you need at least a high school degree. The level of education you get after that depends on whether you want to be a limited technician, technician I or technician II.
A limited technician needs 20 hours in the classroom to familiarize themselves with the theories and techniques. After that, 25 supervised skin punctures are done in clinical training.
Phlebotomist technician I training includes 40 hours of classroom training, 40 hours of clinical practice, and 10 supervised skin punctures and 50 venipunctures. Then you can apply for the certification.
To be a certified technician II, you must be a licensed technician I. You must also have had 1040 hours, at the least, of clinical training in the past five years. A written letter must be provided that shows you have done the required 20 arterial punctures. Then you can apply for certification.
Application and Costs
The application process will change from school to school. Tuition costs also change from school to school.
One school to check out is the AK Star Training Institute. Their phlebotomy course is worth six college credits. Upon application, you must show that you are CPR and first aid certified and have a high school diploma or GED. A practical exam and written exam will be given at the end. Clinical hours must be completed in addition to passing the test. More information is available via the school.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks Community and Technical College also offers phlebotomy courses. The course requires between 30 and 38 credits and can be finished within two semesters. Applicants must complete an application packet and submit it. Once the courses are finished, you can take the national exam and get a national certification. You will be certified, however, as a phlebotomist graduate after finishing this course. More information is available via the school.
Phlebotomy Services offers a three day training program online. The location of the in person third day is in three states a month, and they change monthly. The two online days must be completed before the third day is attended – no exceptions at all. Tuition is $899, but $50 can be dropped if three or more people apply from the same company. $50 will be added if the registration happens less than three weeks before the class begins.
However, this training is not sufficient enough for a phlebotomist course itself. It must be supplemented with a state accredited course.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
No matter what level of phlebotomist you are, there are three things you must do every two years to renew your certification: complete six hours of continuing education training, display certification clearly wherever you work, and pay the renewal fee.
Maintaining your license requires that you complete three hours of continuing education classes each year. You must also be documented annually for competency. Limited technicians and technician Is will be supervised monthly for a review of skin punctures.
Salary and Jobs
A phlebotomist can earn $21,000 a year in an entry level job. Higher paying jobs can pay $43,000 or higher, depending on what the job is, who employs you, and where you live.
In Alaska, an entry level job can net $28,150. A high paying job can net $42,256. The median in Alaska is $34,863. A phlebotomist could draw blood, work with blood in the lab, or run blood drives.
More Phlebotomy Training in Alaska
|SCHOOL||CITY||PHONE NUMBER||FULL ADDRESS||WEBSITE|
|Alaska Career College||Anchorage||(907) 563-7575||1415 E. Tudor Road|
Anchorage, AK 99507