Phlebotomists in Arkansas can enjoy a career that offers good job prospects and a decent salary. You will work directly with patients in a fast-paced, challenging environment. Educational requirements are straightforward and various educational options exist. National certification will increase your job prospects and may also improve your salary prospects.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Arkansas
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Current RNs can choose from RN to BSN or RN to MSN online programs
- RN-to-BSN program offers courses in Illness and Disease Management, Principles of Assessment, and Holistic Professional Nursing
- RN to MSN specializations include Family Nurse Practitioner, Adult-Gerontology and more
- Courses help develop students’ assessment, patient care, and community outreach skills
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Nursing (RN to BSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Family Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- RN to Master of Science in Nursing with a specialization in Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (RN-MSN)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Adult Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Arkansas College of Barbering and Hair Design (ACB) was incorporated under the laws of the state of Arkansas in May 1974. The school was previously located at 401 Main Street in North Little Rock, AR. In1984, the school was relocated to its current location at 200 East Washington Ave and has been incontinuous operation since that time. ACB opened with seven (7) students and sixteen (16) chairs andcurrently have forty-two (42) multi-purpose chairs and an average of sixty-five (65) students. Our purpose is to provide quality training in barbering and hairstyling to the residents of this and other states.
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Unlike some states in which rigorous requirements must be met, Arkansas does not have state–wide requirements for phlebotomists. While that decreases the number of hoops you must jump through, it also means requirements tend to be employer-driven. You will have the best opportunities if you complete a course offered by a school certified by the Arkansas State Board of Education. Personal characteristics that can help you in this work include the ability to be friendly, flexible, and well-organized. You must be able to deal with a wide variety of both ill and healthy people of all ages. You should also have a strong safety orientation and good attention to detail. Each school has its own eligibility requirements and course expectations. At Arkansas State University Mid-South (ASU-MS), for example, you must have a high school diploma or GED and complete medical terminology and anatomy and physiology in addition to the phlebotomy courses. Most programs offer a certificate of completion and take about one semester. In general, expect that you must submit your high school or GED transcripts, pass a background check and drug test, complete up to 40 hours of didactic (classroom) training, complete up to 40 hours of practical training and prove that you have performed as many as 100 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures.
Application Process & Costs
Application processes and costs vary according to the institution. At ASU-MS, tuition varies according to residency, with total amounts ranging from $90 to $150 per credit hour. Other fees may also be required. At South Arkansas Community College, tuition ranges from $83 to $172 per credit hour. Some institutions offer scholarships, loans or tuition payment plans.
Although many programs offer some online courses, all have a hands-on clinical training component in which the student learns how to draw blood and perform other phlebotomy-related tasks. The clinical training must be supervised by a qualified instructor. Not all programs are offered year-round, although the online training portion may be available year-round. Check with the individual institution. Remember that phlebotomy is a skill that takes practice. Choose a program with lots of clinical experience to sharpen your technical competence and hands-on skills.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Certification is not required for phlebotomists in the state of Arkansas. However, national certification is available and highly recommended, as employers are more likely to choose certified technicians or to require certification as a condition of employment. Certification is typically considered proof that you’ve met minimum requirements for competency and knowledge. You can obtain any of five national certifications: National Center for Competency Testing, American Medical Technologists Phlebotomist, American Society for Clinical Pathology Phlebotomy Technician (PBT, ASCP), American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians Phlebotomist and National Phlebotomy Association Phlebotomist. Each has different education, experience and testing requirements.
Salary & Job Prospects
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that health care occupations in general will be in high demand through 2022. In the case of phlebotomists, the BLS projects a growth rate of 27 percent, nearly three times the average growth rate for all occupations. As of May 2014, the average hourly wage for phlebotomists was $12.19. Annual salaries ranged from $17,950 to $34,440. As a newly-graduated phlebotomist, you should expect a salary on the low end of the range.