If you enjoy working with people and want to help them be healthy, consider a career as a phlebotomist. You’ll have excellent job prospects in this career and earn a good salary. Phlebotomy — drawing blood for lab tests — is an important activity in the diagnosis of disease and promotion of health. In California, phlebotomists must complete a special training program and become certified in order to practice.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in California
- Dedicated to providing career training since 1975.
- Has 13 campus locations in Southern California and a campus in Morrow, GA.
- Provides flexible class times including weekends.
- Offers curriculum that ranges from 8 month diploma programs to 16-month Associate of Applied Science degree programs.
- Has admissions professionals available to help students decide which diploma or degree program they should pursue.
- Gives job placement assistance strengthened by relationships with local employers.
- Dental Assistant (8-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Assistant (8-Month Diploma Program)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
Unitek College - About Us
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career. Your training at Unitek College will position you to take advantage of the rising demand for experts in allied health, nursing, and technology professions. Our programs include Medical Assisting, Pharmacy Technician, Dental Assisting, Vocational Nursing, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing: RN-to-BSN Degree Completion.
- Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Pharmacy Technician
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Pharmacy Technology
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technology
- Veterinary Assistant
In California, you must have a high school diploma or GED to enter a training program; this requirement cannot be waived. Each training program may have other specific requirements, but the state itself has none. You can also be trained on the job by a physician or registered nurse, but must still meet the diploma/GED requirement to take the certification exam. Certain personal characteristics may help you be more successful in this career. You should genuinely enjoy and want to help people. Patients may be anxious about blood draws, so you should be able to put them at ease. Steady hands and good eye-hand coordination are necessary, and attention to detail is a must to ensure lab tests are done correctly.
Application Process & Costs
Each school has its own application process. Contact the school of your choice for specific information. The California Department of Public Health maintains a list of approved schools on its website. Application fees will also vary. At the College of the Redwoods in Eureka, the fee for a one-day training is $125, while a similar course at the California school of Health Science in Los Angeles is $90. However, this is a very limited training. To be eligible to take the California Certified Phlebotomy Technician-1 (CPT-1) exam, you must complete 120 hours of training that includes 40 hours each of didactic and laboratory training, plus 40 hours of clinical practice. These courses typically cost between $2,000 and $3,000 and may have additional fees or costs.
Many approved programs offer a portion of the training online. However, all include a clinical hands-on component in which the student practices drawing blood under the supervision of a qualified instructor.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
You must be certified to work as a phlebotomist in California. There are three levels of certification. A limited phlebotomy technician (LPT) can only perform skin puncture blood collection (finger sticks). A Certified Phlebotomy Technician 1 (CPT-1) can perform skin punctures and venipuncture (putting a needle into a vein). Certified Phlebotomy Technician 2 is the highest level; a CPT-2 can perform skin punctures, venipunctures and arterial punctures. To become certified, you must complete an approved course of study or show proof of on-job training and supply documentation of successful venipunctures from a laboratory director, MD or RN with your certification application. To become certified as a CPT-2, you must also submit proof of 20 or more successful arterial punctures. The certification fee is $100 and you must renew every two years.
Salary & Job Prospects
California is one of the best-paying states for phlebotomists, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. The median hourly wage in May 2014 was $18.16, while annual salaries ranged from a low of $26,530 to a high of $50,070. An inexperienced phlebotomist should expect a salary on the low end of the scale. Job prospects are excellent, with a projected growth rate of 27 percent from 2012 through 2022, more than twice as fast as the average job growth projected for all occupations. Job prospects will be best in metropolitan areas with large hospitals or clinical laboratory facilities.
More Phlebotomy Training in California
|SCHOOL||CITY||PHONE NUMBER||FULL ADDRESS||WEBSITE|
|California Nurses Educational Institute||Palm Springs||(760) 416-5955||5200 E. Ramon Road|
Palm Springs, Ca 92264
|Angeles College||Los Angeles||(213) 487-2211||3440 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 310|
Los Angeles, CA 90010
|InfoTech Career College||Bellflower||(562) 804-1239||8527 Alondra Blvd, Suite #174, Paramount, CA 90723||infotech.edu|
|Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts||San Mateo||(650) 685-6616||2121 South El Camino Real, Building B-200|
San Mateo, CA 94403