As one of the most populous metropolitan areas in our country, Chicago serves as a great workplace for anyone in the medical field. Nearly 3 million people make up the city, with another 10 million surrounding the urban sprawl. With their magnificent displays of art, architecture, monuments, and museums, the city is a beacon of culture and entertainment. Tourists and residents alike build the bustling city, taking advantage of the amazing landscape and breathtaking sights. The demand for medical professionals in such a busy metropolitan area is steadily growing and will continue to do so in the upcoming future.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Chicago
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Pharmacy Technician
Northwestern College is a special place. Focused programs. Flexible schedules. Supportive faculty. Externship opportunities. But you probably know all of that. What you may not know is what’s behind it. Our history, our mission, our whole philosophy really. Simply put, it’s about preparing people well and quickly for a lifetime of opportunities.
- Dental Assisting Certificate
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Health Information Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Requirements & Eligibility
Each Phlebotomy training program is different, but there will be several requirements common to all of them. For starters, you must be 18 years old with either a high school diploma or equivalency. Fluid communication and solid knowledge of the English language is important as well, and it never hurts to know more than one language. Your vaccination history must be up to date, and you may be required to pass a tuberculosis test. Malpractice insurance and CPR certification may be required as well, if not to begin training then before you can practice.
Application Process & Costs
Applying for Phlebotomy education and certification is exceptionally simple and straightforward. Like most classes of higher learning, a detailed application must be filled out for the school in question, and there may or may not be an application fee. Some require that you pass a background and drug test. Typical courses are between $1200 and $1600, depending on the depth of the course, the school offering the course, and whether or not you opt for certification to be included with the class.
Phlebotomy technicians are quite hands-on in the healthcare field, making online classes difficult to orchestrate effectively. The primary responsibility of a Phlebotomist is to draw blood from patients and prepare the samples for lab testing, which isn’t something that can be easily learned or explained through a computer monitor. There are short informational classes with visual aids available online, but for the majority of your training you will have to be taught in person. Real-world experience is the only true way to gain practical, applicable knowledge.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
In the state of Illinois, it is not required for a Phlebotomist to have any sort of certification before working with patients. You are welcome to enter the workforce as soon as your education is complete, however you will have a much easier time finding work if you do go through the trouble of certification. A certified Phlebotomist appears much more qualified than one who is non-certified, even if that’s not always the case. Years of experience will often be overlooked in favor of someone with certification. If you do make the choice to certify yourself, the process typically requires a written and oral examination, and some even require a practical exam. Certification renewal is needed about once every ten years.
Salary & Job Prospects
With the ever increasing population of Chicago and the surrounding suburbs there will always be a need for qualified medical professionals. Currently, the average yearly income for a Phlebotomist working in Chicago is roughly $32,800, while some of the more experienced technicians earn as much as $40,000 annually. Job prospects in the city are promising for those entering the medical field on fresh legs, and for those with years of experience already under their belt. Exciting opportunities for growth and prosperity are available to any interested in becoming a Phlebotomist in the great city of Chicago.