Careers in the medical profession are growing at a steady pace and there is always a demand for skilled medical technicians. Phlebotomy technicians are in high demand and enjoy comfortable salaries and excellent benefits. These flexible careers offer job security and the ability to interact with a diverse clientele of patients, doctors and other staff. Breaking into the field of phlebotomy in Detroit is simple. Understanding the requirements for this exciting career path is the first step in enjoying a lucrative career in the medical field.
Phlebotomists draw blood for testing in clinics, diagnostic centers and hospitals. They may also work in blood donation centers or for relief organizations like The American Red Cross. While most medical professionals are trained to draw blood as a part of their overall training, phlebotomists draw blood as their main job function. This career involves preparing vials for blood capture, finding veins for the draw and comforting patients who may be nervous about the procedure. Phlebotomists may also be required to understand the insurance process in order to ensure that the results are routed to the correct place.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Detroit
- Available programs include Health Administrative Services, Human, Social, and Health Services, Medical Billing Administration, and Medical Office Management.
- Professional financial aid advisors work with students individually to find the best financial aid solution.
- All programs are 100% online.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Medical Office Management - Associate of Applied Science
Dorsey has been a trusted career training school in Michigan for over 80 years!
We offer training programs designed to prepare our students for careers in fields such as healthcare, beauty, culinary, and skilled trades
- Patient Care Technician
- Medical Assistant
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Dental Assistant(Diploma)
- Patient Care Technician (Diploma)
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
- Several nursing programs are available at the bachelor's, post-graduate, master's, and doctoral levels.
- Graduate-level specialization options include Nurse Educator, Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Administrator, and more.
- Nursing programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Nursing (BS)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Requirements and Eligibility
Most phlebotomy careers require a high school diploma or its equivalent and the completion of a certificate or degree in a phlebotomy program or professional certification. The program is often offered at community colleges, technical or vocational schools or specialty phlebotomy training centers. Many of these programs can be completed in less than one year and allow students to complete on the job training as part of the certification.
Because you will be working with highly sensitive medical data, you may be required to pass a background check or be fingerprinted as a condition of hire. You may also be required to be up to date on all of your vaccines and undergo tuberculosis testing.
Application Process and Costs
The application process for becoming a phlebotomist is simple. Usually the process requires filling out an application for admission into a training program such as the ones offered at local community colleges or specialty training centers. These programs can range in cost from several hundred dollars to more than $1,000. The average cost of a phlebotomy program is $1,000. Some schools offer phlebotomy classes to complement their nursing programs. Completion of the program requires passing all exams and tests at an acceptable level. Some programs require trainees to shadow more senior phlebotomists as a requirement for graduation from the program.
While some phlebotomy programs may feature an online component to complement in-class work, the majority of the training will take place in an clinical class setting. Students are required to practice blood draws as a part of their training. Due to the hands on nature of the job, there are limited opportunities to train for the phlebotomy certificate online.
Maintaining Certification and Licensing
Maintaining your certification is vital for your career. The requirements for maintaining your licensure depends on the governing body with which you are affiliated. The National Healthcareer Association, for example, requires ongoing continuing education in order to maintain good standing. Keeping your license may require an annual or bi-annual exam or course that demonstrates that you have retained your skills post-graduation.
Salary and Job Prospects
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, phlebotomy is a growing field in high demand. The median wage for a phlebotomy technician in 2012 was $29,730. The highest 10 percent of phlebotomists earn $42,600. Other factors like geography, demand and experience may affect the salary that a phlebotomist can expect.
Detroit has great training programs for aspiring phlebotomists. Enroll today.