Are you looking for a new career in the healthcare industry? Would you be interested in living in one of the safest U.S. cities with a population over 500,000? Do you enjoy the sunshine and walking mountain trails? If your answer is yes, you may want to consider becoming a phlebotomist, working in the “Sun City,” El Paso, TX. Phlebotomists draw blood used for research, blood tests, transfusions, and blood donations. Phlebotomists also verify records and prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities for this career are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, and other sites such as long-term care facilities.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in El Paso
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in El Paso, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, different methods of collecting samples and specimen analysis. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills. It may be necessary to explain the procedure, comfort a patient, or ask the patient about their medical history. As one of the first people a patient will meet, your demeanor and attitude need to project professionalism, empathy, and patience. A skilled Phlebotomist can interact comfortably with patients and helps patients feel relaxed.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using various types of equipment, and willingly to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
El Paso Community College offers a Phlebotomy course. The admission requirements are:
• Students must be 17 years of age by the first day of class
• Current CPR certification (through an American Heart Association Provider)
• Must test at a 10th-grade reading level
• A physical exam by a licensed U.S. doctor or nurse practitioner
• Proof of immunizations for measles, tetanus, and hepatitis B
• A negative TB test
• Background clearance
• Drug screen
The classroom portion is 90 hours, and the fee is $240. In addition to this fee other costs include:
• Co-requisite enrollment in the Phlebotomy Technician Clinical (120 hours, $160)
• Required class textbook
• EPCC patch
The clinical costs (see above) also include:
• Mandatory Professional Practice Insurance
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Legal situations in Phlebotomy
• Dealing with difficult people
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion. To work as a phlebotomist, you will also need clinical training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, El Paso, TX (like most other states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
The job outlook for phlebotomists is very favorable. This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. This growth is a much faster rate than average, for employment growth rates. In El Paso, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $26,492, and several agencies are hiring now.