Are you looking for a new career in the healthcare industry? Would you be interested in living in one of the safest U.S. cities with a population over 500,000? Do you enjoy the sunshine and walking mountain trails? If your answer is yes, you may want to consider becoming a phlebotomist, working in the “Sun City,” El Paso, TX. Phlebotomists draw blood used for research, blood tests, transfusions, and blood donations. Phlebotomists also verify records and prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities for this career are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, and other sites such as long-term care facilities.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in El Paso
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in El Paso, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, different methods of collecting samples and specimen analysis. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills. It may be necessary to explain the procedure, comfort a patient, or ask the patient about their medical history. As one of the first people a patient will meet, your demeanor and attitude need to project professionalism, empathy, and patience. A skilled Phlebotomist can interact comfortably with patients and helps patients feel relaxed.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using various types of equipment, and willingly to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
El Paso Community College offers a Phlebotomy course. The admission requirements are:
• Students must be 17 years of age by the first day of class
• Current CPR certification (through an American Heart Association Provider)
• Must test at a 10th-grade reading level
• A physical exam by a licensed U.S. doctor or nurse practitioner
• Proof of immunizations for measles, tetanus, and hepatitis B
• A negative TB test
• Background clearance
• Drug screen
The classroom portion is 90 hours, and the fee is $240. In addition to this fee other costs include:
• Co-requisite enrollment in the Phlebotomy Technician Clinical (120 hours, $160)
• Required class textbook
• EPCC patch
The clinical costs (see above) also include:
• Mandatory Professional Practice Insurance
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Legal situations in Phlebotomy
• Dealing with difficult people
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion. To work as a phlebotomist, you will also need clinical training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, El Paso, TX (like most other states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
The job outlook for phlebotomists is very favorable. This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. This growth is a much faster rate than average, for employment growth rates. In El Paso, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $26,492, and several agencies are hiring now.