If you live in the Houston area of Texas, you have lots of options to become a phlebotomist. Houston is also one of the highest-paying areas for phlebotomists as well. You could be earning a good salary within a few months after training. In addition, phlebotomy is a portable career; once you’re trained, you can pick up and go with a reasonable chance of finding a new job.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Houston
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements & Eligibility
The state of Texas does not require licensure or certification to practice phlebotomy; certification requirements are driven by employers. Most employers prefer or require certification as proof of training and competence. Although most phlebotomy programs cover similar topics, the length and depth of the training varies from one to another. Of the programs offered in the Houston area, training time ranges from four to 16 weeks and cost from $200 to more than $1200. If you are already in a health-care occupation such as nursing or respiratory therapy, you can complete a three-day course designed specifically for those who have had previous clinical training; this program is not available for the average person who wants to become a phlebotomist. Each program sets standards for admission, but the minimum requirements typically include:
~ A high school diploma or GED (this is also required to take all national certification examinations)
~ Age 18 or older when training commences.
~ Up to date immunizations
~ A tuberculosis screening test
~ Passing a drug screen
~ Passing a background check
~ CPR certification
Depending on the oganization, you may also be required to have a physical examination, provide proof of health insurance and complete prerequisite courses such as math, English or science.
Application Process & Costs
Because each program sets its own fees and has its own application process, you should check with different programs for details. As an example, Avalon Medical Career Academy offers both day and evening classes; day classes last eight weeks and evening classes last 16 weeks. Tuition is $650. The Houston Community College course includes a 96-hour basic phlebotomy course and a 120-hour clinical course at a cost of $1,350.
Phlebotomy Services, a training program for those already in a health care occupation, was the only training program that offered online courses at the time of publication. Check with the training program of your choice for further information. Although didactic training may be completed online in some cases, remember that clinical skills and technique are critical in this occupation. A course with the maximum amount of hands-on clinical time will be the best preparation for your work in the field of phlebotomy.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
A license is not required for phlebotomists in Texas. National certification is available from several different organizations, including the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians and the American Society of Clinical Pathology. Each organization sets its own testing standards. Plan to become nationally certified, as you will have more job opportunities.
Salary & Job Prospects
Metropolitan areas offer the best salary prospects for phlebotomists in Texas. In Houston, the average hourly wage was $15.30 in May of 2014, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Annual salaries ranged from $24,020 to $41,060. In comparison, in the nearby eastern and Gulf Coast non-metropolitan areas, the average hourly wage was $11.72 and $12.62, respectively. Job opportunities are also better in metropolitan areas, especially those with more than one hospital, clinical laboratory or other health care facilities. The BLS projects job growth of 27 percent for phlebotomists through 2022, more than twice as high as the average projected job growth for all occupations.