Does working in a hospital or medical laboratory sound like a career you’d enjoy? Do you like the idea of playing a part in helping diagnosis illness and disease? If so, you may enjoy a career as a phlebotomist. Continue reading and learn how to become a phlebotomist in Illinois as well as some career information.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Illinois
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Pharmacy Technician
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Northwestern College is a special place. Focused programs. Flexible schedules. Supportive faculty. Externship opportunities. But you probably know all of that. What you may not know is what’s behind it. Our history, our mission, our whole philosophy really. Simply put, it’s about preparing people well and quickly for a lifetime of opportunities.
- Dental Assisting Certificate
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Health Science
To become a phlebotomist in Illinois, an individual should complete a formal training program. These can be found at technical schools, community colleges and sometimes at hospitals. Eligibility requirements may vary, but most programs require the student submit to a criminal background check, take an entrance or placement exam, be 18 years old and pass a health screening that includes a completed TB test. Phlebotomy training programs don’t typically have any prerequisite courses.
Once in the program, the student will take courses in medical terminology, venipuncture, patient interaction, CPR, OSHA guidelines, blood collection techniques, medical laws, and healthcare communication. In addition to these classes, the student must also complete a supervised internship in a clinical setting to obtain real experience collecting specimen samples and performing venipuncture and skin procedures. Phlebotomy training may be a one-semester program or can take up to a year to complete depending on if it’s a certificate or degree program. Black Hawk College has a 10-12 week program that requires the student perform 20 venipunctures and 10 capillary sticks.
Application Process & Costs
Prior to taking the program, the individual submit an application along with an application fee. Application fees also vary by school or program. In addition to application fees, the student must also pay tuition and fees. The program at Black Hawk College costs $695 for tuition and additional fees for books. Malcolm X College offers a two-semester program that costs about $1,500. This program includes evening classes. There are more than 20 schools in Illinois that offer phlebotomist training or classes.
Aspiring phlebotomists with a computer and Internet access can also obtain their necessary training through online programs. Online phlebotomy programs provide the student with the classroom portion of the training, allowing the student to learn at home. However, the student may be required to attend in person for the practicum course or make arrangements with a local clinic or hospital to complete the hands-on training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Phlebotomists who have completed training programs or classes can become certified by passing certification tests. Organizations offering phlebotomy technician certification include the National Credentialing Agency for Clinical Laboratory Services, the American Association of Bioanalysts, the American Society of Clinical Pathology and the American Medical Technologists. Prior to taking the certification exams, the applicant must show proof of meeting the requirements and pay an application fee, which also varies by agency.
To be eligible to take the exam, the candidate must meet either the training program requirement or have equivalent working experience in this field. Requirements vary by organization. For instance, the ASCP offers the test to individuals with at least one year of experience working as a phlebotomist for at least 35 hours per week. To maintain certification, the phlebotomist must complete continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that phlebotomists could see an employment growth of 27 percent from 2012-2022. Illinois ranks 5th-highest in terms of highest employment level for phlebotomists, according to the BLS. As of May 2014, there were more than 5,000 phlebotomists employed in Illinois. According to an October 2015 report by Indeed.com, phlebotomists in Illinois earn an average annual salary of about $27,000. However, wages vary by location with higher salaries earned in the northern parts of the state like Rockford, Chicago, Naperville and Des Plaines.
More Phlebotomy Training in Illinois
|SCHOOL||CITY||PHONE NUMBER||FULL ADDRESS||WEBSITE|
|Northwestern Institute of Health and Technology||Chicago||(877) 908-9969||Chicago, Illinois||nwiht.edu|