A phlebotomist career is an exciting medical profession with tremendous potential for long-term advancement in the healthcare industry. This profession is more than simply taking blood samples, and not everyone has what it takes to be a phlebotomist among the healthcare professionals. If you are looking for an in-demand career that will allow you to work from nearly any medical facility in the country with long-term job security, this is the career path for you.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Iowa
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Medical Assistant
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Health Science
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- And more...
You must fulfill a variety of requirements to be eligible for phlebotomy training. Because you will be working closely with needles and blood, it is imperative that you are in good health and that you are protected from the illness of others in your working environments. Some programs have more stringent requirements than others. You may only require a high school diploma for some programs and you may require nursing certification for others. Here is an example of a more reputable program’s requirements:
You will be required to complete your Hepatitis B shot series, your measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunizations, your proof of immunity to chickenpox which is also known as Varicella and a Two-Step Tuberculin Skin Test (TST). In addition to these medical requirements, you must possess a valid 75-hour Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) certificate and you must pass a drug screening and a criminal background check.
Application Process & Costs
Applications often require basic verifiable personal information, education background and education transcripts. You will also be required to pay an application fee and courses will vary in price based on the program. Some courses cost around $1,300 and others cost less than $1,000. To determine the true cost of the program, be sure to include any separate costs that may not be included in the advertised tuition fees such as textbook costs and entry fees.
Online training availability will vary depending upon the college, however all schools will require both classroom hours and lab hours. Online programs will allow for some classroom training to be completed online, however lab hours are always required to be completed in an actual physical lab setting. These cannot be completed online. A number of nationally and regionally accredited online universities offer online classroom training; however, again, you will have to complete the lab portion in person.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
The state of Iowa does not actually require that a phlebotomist be certified. It is important to note, however, that certified professionals are far more likely to be hired over non-certified candidates, they are likely to make more money and they are more likely to be considered for promotions. Most of the Iowa certification programs are preparatory programs so that upon completing the Iowa certificate, graduates meet all requirements to successfully complete the National Phlebotomy Certification, as well. The national certification must be renewed annually.
Salary & Job Prospects
Like most other states, the demand for phlebotomists is growing at an accelerated rate in Iowa. Phlebotomist technicians and phlebotomist professionals can expect a salary of around $30,000 a year in larger cities in Iowa and closer to $25,000 in smaller cities. This figure will vary based on education and experience. Your job opportunities can range from collecting blood samples at a blood bank to working for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the local Iowa branch. You could even travel for your job.
Individuals seeking out a solid future in health care without expensive degrees should pursue a certificate in phlebotomy in Iowa. As long as you are willing to work hard and improve your skills, your demand and potential is limitless.