A phlebotomist career is an exciting medical profession with tremendous potential for long-term advancement in the healthcare industry. This profession is more than simply taking blood samples, and not everyone has what it takes to be a phlebotomist among the healthcare professionals. If you are looking for an in-demand career that will allow you to work from nearly any medical facility in the country with long-term job security, this is the career path for you.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Iowa
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Medical Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science: Health Science
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- MS Sport Management
You must fulfill a variety of requirements to be eligible for phlebotomy training. Because you will be working closely with needles and blood, it is imperative that you are in good health and that you are protected from the illness of others in your working environments. Some programs have more stringent requirements than others. You may only require a high school diploma for some programs and you may require nursing certification for others. Here is an example of a more reputable program’s requirements:
You will be required to complete your Hepatitis B shot series, your measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) immunizations, your proof of immunity to chickenpox which is also known as Varicella and a Two-Step Tuberculin Skin Test (TST). In addition to these medical requirements, you must possess a valid 75-hour Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) certificate and you must pass a drug screening and a criminal background check.
Application Process & Costs
Applications often require basic verifiable personal information, education background and education transcripts. You will also be required to pay an application fee and courses will vary in price based on the program. Some courses cost around $1,300 and others cost less than $1,000. To determine the true cost of the program, be sure to include any separate costs that may not be included in the advertised tuition fees such as textbook costs and entry fees.
Online training availability will vary depending upon the college, however all schools will require both classroom hours and lab hours. Online programs will allow for some classroom training to be completed online, however lab hours are always required to be completed in an actual physical lab setting. These cannot be completed online. A number of nationally and regionally accredited online universities offer online classroom training; however, again, you will have to complete the lab portion in person.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
The state of Iowa does not actually require that a phlebotomist be certified. It is important to note, however, that certified professionals are far more likely to be hired over non-certified candidates, they are likely to make more money and they are more likely to be considered for promotions. Most of the Iowa certification programs are preparatory programs so that upon completing the Iowa certificate, graduates meet all requirements to successfully complete the National Phlebotomy Certification, as well. The national certification must be renewed annually.
Salary & Job Prospects
Like most other states, the demand for phlebotomists is growing at an accelerated rate in Iowa. Phlebotomist technicians and phlebotomist professionals can expect a salary of around $30,000 a year in larger cities in Iowa and closer to $25,000 in smaller cities. This figure will vary based on education and experience. Your job opportunities can range from collecting blood samples at a blood bank to working for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at the local Iowa branch. You could even travel for your job.
Individuals seeking out a solid future in health care without expensive degrees should pursue a certificate in phlebotomy in Iowa. As long as you are willing to work hard and improve your skills, your demand and potential is limitless.