As a phlebotomist, you’ll be an important part of the healthcare team, serving as a vital touchpoint for patients and a critical link to clinical laboratories. At the same time, you’ll be building a rewarding career in a field that is expected to grow by a faster-than-average 27 percent.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Long Beach
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Fitness & Nutrition
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- Master of Health Administration
- MPH - Master of Public Health (Online)
Requirements & Eligibility
California recognizes three levels of phlebotomy training and certification, each requiring at least a high school education, GED or equivalent. The top, Clinical Phlebotomist Technician 2, or CPT 2, certification requires that applicants already qualify as CPT 1’s and additional on-the-job education. Applicants usually don’t need to take any prerequisite courses before applying to phlebotomy programs. However, before you’ll be admitted into the on-the-job training portion of the program, you will undergo a background check, provide proof you are properly immunized and complete a CPR course for healthcare providers. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Application Process & Costs
In most cases, program applicants need to submit proof of their education and complete the individual phlebotomy school’s application. Costs for these programs vary widely especially between public and private schools. For instance, applying to community college programs and public schools does not usually require an application fee. Private schools frequently require a registration fee of about $100, but that is often credited to the total enrollment fee. Tuition is equally diverse. Students at community college programs pay the usual tuition fees per unit plus a $10 materials fee. There, students who are California residents pay about $141 per two-unit course; out-of-state-resident students pay about $601 for the same two-unit course. Privately run schools usually charge a flat rate per type of program, averaging from $700 to $2,400, depending on the type of program pursued.
Local phlebotomy education programs are approved by the California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services, or LFS. LFS publishes a list of approved schools, including online programs. Most online programs are designed for students who are already in the health care field and who have experience with at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures. There is currently one online program approved by California’s Department of Public Health.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Earning and maintaining phlebotomy certification varies depending on the level of certification. The most basic level of certification, the Limited Phlebotomy Technician, must pay the state certification application fee of $100 and provide proof of their 20 hours of basic didactic education and experience with at least 25 skin punctures. Those applying for CPT 1 certification must pay the certification fee, provide proof of their 40 hours of didactic phlebotomy education and at least 40 hours of practical training and pass an approved phlebotomy certification exam. To be certified as a CPT 2, applicants must already hold a CPT 1 and provide proof of at least 1040 hours of on-the-job training, experience with at least 20 arterial punctures and pass the written phlebotomy test. Certifications are valid for two years. To maintain certification, phlebotomists must complete 6 hours of continuing education during that two-year certification period and pay a renewal certification fee.
Salary & Job Prospects
California is one of the top five states for phlebotomy jobs, employing nearly 11,500 phlebotomists in local medical centers, hospitals, physician offices, urgent care centers, rehabilitation hospitals and a host of other health facilities. Average mean salaries throughout the state are currently at $37,770. About 4,000 phlebotomists are employed in the Long Beach/Los Angeles County area, with an annual mean wage of $36,680. The top 10 percent in this region earn $47,880.