As a phlebotomist, you’ll be an important part of the healthcare team, serving as a vital touchpoint for patients and a critical link to clinical laboratories. At the same time, you’ll be building a rewarding career in a field that is expected to grow by a faster-than-average 27 percent.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Long Beach
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Wilkes University’s School of Nursing offers CCNE-accredited online degrees and certificate programs ideal for working health care professionals, instructed by experienced, respected faculty dedicated to mentoring and personalized support for every student. Our nursing degrees offer the cutting-edge professional knowledge and skills needed in today’s dynamic, evolving health care industry.
- RN to BS
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- And more...
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MPH - Master of Public Health (Online)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Public Administration Online
Requirements & Eligibility
California recognizes three levels of phlebotomy training and certification, each requiring at least a high school education, GED or equivalent. The top, Clinical Phlebotomist Technician 2, or CPT 2, certification requires that applicants already qualify as CPT 1’s and additional on-the-job education. Applicants usually don’t need to take any prerequisite courses before applying to phlebotomy programs. However, before you’ll be admitted into the on-the-job training portion of the program, you will undergo a background check, provide proof you are properly immunized and complete a CPR course for healthcare providers. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
Application Process & Costs
In most cases, program applicants need to submit proof of their education and complete the individual phlebotomy school’s application. Costs for these programs vary widely especially between public and private schools. For instance, applying to community college programs and public schools does not usually require an application fee. Private schools frequently require a registration fee of about $100, but that is often credited to the total enrollment fee. Tuition is equally diverse. Students at community college programs pay the usual tuition fees per unit plus a $10 materials fee. There, students who are California residents pay about $141 per two-unit course; out-of-state-resident students pay about $601 for the same two-unit course. Privately run schools usually charge a flat rate per type of program, averaging from $700 to $2,400, depending on the type of program pursued.
Local phlebotomy education programs are approved by the California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services, or LFS. LFS publishes a list of approved schools, including online programs. Most online programs are designed for students who are already in the health care field and who have experience with at least 50 venipunctures and 10 skin punctures. There is currently one online program approved by California’s Department of Public Health.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Earning and maintaining phlebotomy certification varies depending on the level of certification. The most basic level of certification, the Limited Phlebotomy Technician, must pay the state certification application fee of $100 and provide proof of their 20 hours of basic didactic education and experience with at least 25 skin punctures. Those applying for CPT 1 certification must pay the certification fee, provide proof of their 40 hours of didactic phlebotomy education and at least 40 hours of practical training and pass an approved phlebotomy certification exam. To be certified as a CPT 2, applicants must already hold a CPT 1 and provide proof of at least 1040 hours of on-the-job training, experience with at least 20 arterial punctures and pass the written phlebotomy test. Certifications are valid for two years. To maintain certification, phlebotomists must complete 6 hours of continuing education during that two-year certification period and pay a renewal certification fee.
Salary & Job Prospects
California is one of the top five states for phlebotomy jobs, employing nearly 11,500 phlebotomists in local medical centers, hospitals, physician offices, urgent care centers, rehabilitation hospitals and a host of other health facilities. Average mean salaries throughout the state are currently at $37,770. About 4,000 phlebotomists are employed in the Long Beach/Los Angeles County area, with an annual mean wage of $36,680. The top 10 percent in this region earn $47,880.