Training to become a phlebotomist in Louisiana can be a fun and interesting way to start your career in the medical field. Phlebotomists are medical professionals who are trained to draw blood from patients and collect the blood into specimen bags for laboratory testing. Phlebotomists work closely with patients and play an important role in clinical settings such as hospitals, doctor’s offices, laboratories and blood banks. Phlebotomists are also responsible for maintaining patient identification information and performing clerical duties such as data entry. Getting started as a phlebotomist in Louisiana requires only a high school diploma or GED and can be a great entry-level position.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Louisiana
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Start your future now!
McCann School of Business & Technology (McCann) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you’ve completed your program, you’re truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate in Occupational Studies
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
In order to begin training as a phlebotomist in Louisiana, you must have already completed a high school diploma or GED. You must also be at least 18 years of age, able to read, write, and speak fluent English, and you must be able to pass a drug screen and criminal background check. To be successful as a phlebotomist, you must have good eye-hand coordination, must be able to follow written procedures and must enjoy working with patients of all ages.
Application Process and Costs
In the state of Louisiana, training to become a phlebotomist is offered through community college certificate programs. Anyone who meets the eligibility requirements listed in the previous section can apply and gain acceptance to a phlebotomy training program. These certificate programs vary in length, but most can be completed within one to two semesters. Clinical experience in a hospital setting is also a requirement in many programs. Some popular schools in Louisiana offering phlebotomy training include:
• Bossier Parish Community College
• Central Louisiana Technical College
• Fletcher Technical Community College
• Northshore Technical Community College
• Northwest Louisiana Technical College
• South Central Louisiana Technical College – Young Memorial Campus
• Southern University at Shreveport
The cost of tuition for these programs varies but generally falls within the range of $2,000 – $4,500 for residents of Louisiana.
There are multiple online programs all over the U.S. that offer online phlebotomy training. While these programs may be less expensive than traditional brick-and-mortar programs, you must consider the quality of the education you are receiving. Phlebotomy requires working directly with patients and drawing blood in a clinical setting. It is not possible to learn these skills in a completely online setting. For this reason, all online phlebotomy training programs require some amount of in-person clinical training in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Before you decide to enroll in an online program, check to see if the online school and program are legitimate. Legitimate programs will be accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), will require students to provide proof of a high school diploma or GED, and will help students find locations where they can complete their on-site clinical training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Phlebotomists in the state of Louisiana are required to be licensed through the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. There are two ways that you can become licensed as a phlebotomist in Louisiana: 1) Take and pass a nationally recognized certification examination and have the certification agency send your scores to the Board or 2) Take and pass an exam administered by the Board. After you successfully complete one of the above exams, you can apply for a license. Once you receive your license, you can apply for jobs and gain employment as a phlebotomist. Licenses must be renewed within 30 days of expiration. Phlebotomy licenses in Louisiana cost $40 for the initial license and $40 to renew.
Salary and Job Prospects
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for phlebotomists are expected to grow by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022. The average salary for phlebotomists in 2014 was $31,890.
If you want a career in the medical field that doesn’t require a college degree and years of school, a career as a phlebotomist may be the ideal choice for you.