Training to become a phlebotomist in Louisiana can be a fun and interesting way to start your career in the medical field. Phlebotomists are medical professionals who are trained to draw blood from patients and collect the blood into specimen bags for laboratory testing. Phlebotomists work closely with patients and play an important role in clinical settings such as hospitals, doctor’s offices, laboratories and blood banks. Phlebotomists are also responsible for maintaining patient identification information and performing clerical duties such as data entry. Getting started as a phlebotomist in Louisiana requires only a high school diploma or GED and can be a great entry-level position.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Louisiana
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- DIP - Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Dialysis Technician - Diploma
- Clinical Medical Assisting - Diploma
In order to begin training as a phlebotomist in Louisiana, you must have already completed a high school diploma or GED. You must also be at least 18 years of age, able to read, write, and speak fluent English, and you must be able to pass a drug screen and criminal background check. To be successful as a phlebotomist, you must have good eye-hand coordination, must be able to follow written procedures and must enjoy working with patients of all ages.
Application Process and Costs
In the state of Louisiana, training to become a phlebotomist is offered through community college certificate programs. Anyone who meets the eligibility requirements listed in the previous section can apply and gain acceptance to a phlebotomy training program. These certificate programs vary in length, but most can be completed within one to two semesters. Clinical experience in a hospital setting is also a requirement in many programs. Some popular schools in Louisiana offering phlebotomy training include:
• Bossier Parish Community College
• Central Louisiana Technical College
• Fletcher Technical Community College
• Northshore Technical Community College
• Northwest Louisiana Technical College
• South Central Louisiana Technical College – Young Memorial Campus
• Southern University at Shreveport
The cost of tuition for these programs varies but generally falls within the range of $2,000 – $4,500 for residents of Louisiana.
There are multiple online programs all over the U.S. that offer online phlebotomy training. While these programs may be less expensive than traditional brick-and-mortar programs, you must consider the quality of the education you are receiving. Phlebotomy requires working directly with patients and drawing blood in a clinical setting. It is not possible to learn these skills in a completely online setting. For this reason, all online phlebotomy training programs require some amount of in-person clinical training in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Before you decide to enroll in an online program, check to see if the online school and program are legitimate. Legitimate programs will be accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), will require students to provide proof of a high school diploma or GED, and will help students find locations where they can complete their on-site clinical training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Phlebotomists in the state of Louisiana are required to be licensed through the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. There are two ways that you can become licensed as a phlebotomist in Louisiana: 1) Take and pass a nationally recognized certification examination and have the certification agency send your scores to the Board or 2) Take and pass an exam administered by the Board. After you successfully complete one of the above exams, you can apply for a license. Once you receive your license, you can apply for jobs and gain employment as a phlebotomist. Licenses must be renewed within 30 days of expiration. Phlebotomy licenses in Louisiana cost $40 for the initial license and $40 to renew.
Salary and Job Prospects
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for phlebotomists are expected to grow by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022. The average salary for phlebotomists in 2014 was $31,890.
If you want a career in the medical field that doesn’t require a college degree and years of school, a career as a phlebotomist may be the ideal choice for you.