Training to become a phlebotomist in Louisiana can be a fun and interesting way to start your career in the medical field. Phlebotomists are medical professionals who are trained to draw blood from patients and collect the blood into specimen bags for laboratory testing. Phlebotomists work closely with patients and play an important role in clinical settings such as hospitals, doctor’s offices, laboratories and blood banks. Phlebotomists are also responsible for maintaining patient identification information and performing clerical duties such as data entry. Getting started as a phlebotomist in Louisiana requires only a high school diploma or GED and can be a great entry-level position.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Louisiana
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Pharmacy Technician
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Complementary and Alternative Health
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Get hands-on training with Remington College. We offer diploma and associate and bachelor's degree programs in business, criminal justice, culinary arts, health care, and cosmetology at our campuses in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas — plus some courses are offered online.
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Blue Cliff College was founded in New Orleans, Louisiana in 1987 with the goal of becoming one of the most respected and innovative Massage Therapy training centers in the nation. In June of 1989, the College in Louisiana received its Proprietary School License from the state. In 1998, the Continuing Education College was proud to receive accreditation from the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) is a recognized accrediting agency by the US Department of Education.
- Dental Assistant - Diploma
- Dialysis Technician - Diploma
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
In order to begin training as a phlebotomist in Louisiana, you must have already completed a high school diploma or GED. You must also be at least 18 years of age, able to read, write, and speak fluent English, and you must be able to pass a drug screen and criminal background check. To be successful as a phlebotomist, you must have good eye-hand coordination, must be able to follow written procedures and must enjoy working with patients of all ages.
Application Process and Costs
In the state of Louisiana, training to become a phlebotomist is offered through community college certificate programs. Anyone who meets the eligibility requirements listed in the previous section can apply and gain acceptance to a phlebotomy training program. These certificate programs vary in length, but most can be completed within one to two semesters. Clinical experience in a hospital setting is also a requirement in many programs. Some popular schools in Louisiana offering phlebotomy training include:
• Bossier Parish Community College
• Central Louisiana Technical College
• Fletcher Technical Community College
• Northshore Technical Community College
• Northwest Louisiana Technical College
• South Central Louisiana Technical College – Young Memorial Campus
• Southern University at Shreveport
The cost of tuition for these programs varies but generally falls within the range of $2,000 – $4,500 for residents of Louisiana.
There are multiple online programs all over the U.S. that offer online phlebotomy training. While these programs may be less expensive than traditional brick-and-mortar programs, you must consider the quality of the education you are receiving. Phlebotomy requires working directly with patients and drawing blood in a clinical setting. It is not possible to learn these skills in a completely online setting. For this reason, all online phlebotomy training programs require some amount of in-person clinical training in order to receive a certificate of completion.
Before you decide to enroll in an online program, check to see if the online school and program are legitimate. Legitimate programs will be accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS), will require students to provide proof of a high school diploma or GED, and will help students find locations where they can complete their on-site clinical training.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Phlebotomists in the state of Louisiana are required to be licensed through the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners. There are two ways that you can become licensed as a phlebotomist in Louisiana: 1) Take and pass a nationally recognized certification examination and have the certification agency send your scores to the Board or 2) Take and pass an exam administered by the Board. After you successfully complete one of the above exams, you can apply for a license. Once you receive your license, you can apply for jobs and gain employment as a phlebotomist. Licenses must be renewed within 30 days of expiration. Phlebotomy licenses in Louisiana cost $40 for the initial license and $40 to renew.
Salary and Job Prospects
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs for phlebotomists are expected to grow by 27 percent between 2012 and 2022. The average salary for phlebotomists in 2014 was $31,890.
If you want a career in the medical field that doesn’t require a college degree and years of school, a career as a phlebotomist may be the ideal choice for you.