Phlebotomy, the process of drawing blood specimens for testing, is a basic function in the medical field and a skill required in many medical professions. Given the importance of and prolific need for taking blood, studying phlebotomy offers a gateway into a multiple professions in the healthcare industry. The benefits of becoming a phlebotomist include a fairly short training program and the availability of jobs in many different medical environments. Healthcare is a major industry in Louisville, Kentucky with its 15 hospitals serving as a regional hub for Kentucky and Southern Indiana. Becoming a phlebotomist in Louisville provides numerous job possibilities with a competitive salary for the region as well as a foundation for transitioning into other medical careers.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Louisville
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Veterinary Assistant
- Associate of Science in Medical Office Management
- Medical Administrative Assistant Diploma
- Medical Administrative Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Requirements and Eligibility
Licensing to be a phlebotomist varies from state to state. Kentucky does not require a license to perform this work. Standard coursework requirements include healthcare law, medical safety procedures, basic medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and techniques for dealing with needle-phobic patients. Training will also require practicing in clinical setting.
Training eligibility is determined by each educational facility. Generally, students must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. Other common requirements include a criminal background check, drug testing and demonstrated command of the English language. Prospective students may also be required to provide immunization records.
Application Process and Costs
The application process and costs of phlebotomy certification varies from program to program. Some schools require students to obtain malpractice insurance or build it into program expenses. In selecting a program, you should determine whether it has national accreditation to ensure high quality training. Louisville’s educational opportunities are offered by Spencerian College-Louisville, Jefferson Community and Technical College’s downtown campus and ATA College.
You can pursue a certificate or associate degree in phlebotomy. Most certificate programs are offered by vocational schools or technical colleges and take less than a year to complete. Associate degrees require about two years of study with additional coursework that may include chemistry, biology and mathematics.
Following completion of your program, either certificate or associate degree, you should take a national exam offered by an accredited agency. With the cost ranging from approximately $80 to $130, this certification will make you more competitive in the job market and eligible for a higher salary. National certification agencies include the American Credentialing Agency (ACA), American Medical Technologists (AMT), American Society or Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and the National Center fr Competency Testing (NCCT). Exams are timed and are adaptive to your skill levels, increasing in difficulty when questions are answered directly.
Some online training programs are available. However, it is important to note that even online courses will require hands-on clinical experience to complete the program. Examples of online programs include Rassmussen College and Tulsa Community College.
Maintaining Certification/Licensing Renewal
Certifications are valid for two years. Several organization offer continuing education online to help maintain certification. If your certification lapses, you may be required to take refresher training before being able to renew your certification.
Salary and Job Prospects
The average salary for a phlebotomist in Louisville, KY is $30,000 with an average value of additional benefits (such as health care, paid time off) of $16,000. While Kentucky does not require a phlebotomy license, individuals who pass an exam for certification can command higher salaries and have more employment options.
Phlebotomists are needed in most healthcare settings. Work environments include clinics and hospitals, doctors’ offices, laboratories, nursing homes and blood banks. Louisville is home to 15 hospitals, which offer the most diverse options for entry-level phlebotomists.