If you have a fear of needles, this is not the type of work for you. A phlebotomist works with drawing blood from patients.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Maine
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Complementary and Alternative Health
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
- MBA - Healthcare Management
There are three levels of trained phlebotomists: limited technician, technician I, and technician II. A limited phlebotomy technician is the most basic level of phlebotomist.
All three levels require a high school diploma or a GED in order to get into the classes. A limited technician must have 20 hours of classroom training and 25 supervised skin punctures. A technician I must have 40 hours each of class room instruction and clinical practice. During the practice, they must do 10 skin punctures and 50 venipunctures under supervision.
A technician II must be a licensed technician I and have had at least 1040 hours of clinical experience in the past five years. They must also have completed 20 arterial punctures and have a letter written by an approved practitioner that says this has happened.
Application and Costs
The application process changes from course to course. Tuition costs – and what the covers – will as well.
At Central Main Community College, the phlebotomy class is $475. This cost includes the materials and the books. The classes in this course will cover collecting specimens, safety guidelines, health guidelines, the relationship between the patient and the technician, and more. Full information is available on the school’s website.
For a smaller class, visit Crooked River Adult and Community Education Center. The phlebotomy lessons here are kept small. Tuition is a little more expensive at $795. Entrance testing includes vaccinations for hepatitis B, varicella, TB, and tetanus. The office does the entrance testing. Students must also have a high school diploma or equivalent GED and proof of vaccination.
Phlebotomy Services offers an online training program – but the in person portion is only offered in three states a month. The tuition is $899, and a late fee of $50 is added if you register less than three weeks later. If more than three people from the same company or service register, $50 is taken off the fee.
The course goes over three days. The first two cover techniques and terminology online. These must be done to be able to attend the in person portion on the third day – no exceptions.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
Everyone who is a licensed phlebotomist must renew national certification every two years. In addition to paying renewal fees, you must have completed six hours of continuing education training. This means three hours a year, at least. Every licensed phlebotomist also needs to show the certification or identification card in a prominent area in the work space – whether that’s an office or an ambulance. You will also be documented for competency annually.
For phlebotomy technician Is and limited technicians, reviews of skin punctures will be done monthly. These will be supervised.
If you are moving soon, it would be wise to look up state specific things. Many don’t require a national certificate, but do treasure those that get the certificate.
Salary and Jobs
An entry level job can earn a newcomer $21,000 a year. Higher end jobs earn $43,000 or more. It all depends on three things: where you work, who you work for, and where you live. Higher living costs can inflate a salary, and lower living costs can deflate a salary.
In Maine, the median average per year for a phlebotomist is $32,077. The lowest median payment is $25,901. The highest payment is $38,879. These are right around average numbers for the nation, and that’s a good thing.