A phlebotomist can do all sorts of cool things. These things, however, require training before you can do them. Looking into being a phlebotomist is rewarding before you decide on what kind of phlebotomist to become.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Maryland
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Pharmacy Technician
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Dental Assistant Program
- Expanded Functions Dental Assistant
- Dental Assisting
- And more...
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
All-State Career - Healthcare Division is committed to providing quality training for students just like you. Financial aid is available for students who qualify. * Programs vary by location * Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Dental Assisting
- Expanded Functions Dental Assisting
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Adult Gerontology Practitioner Certificate
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
A future phlebotomist needs to have a high school diploma. A GED will also suffice this requirement. All phlebotomists have at least 20 hours in a classroom learning the skills from an approved program and have done at least 25 skin punctures in clinical training under supervision.
Those are the minimum requirements for a limited phlebotomy technician. To move up, you have to have another 20 hours of classroom time. There is also a need to have 40 hours in clinical experience and have done 10 supervised skin punctures, and 50 venipunctures.
After that, you must have had 1040 hours of clinic experience in the past five years as a certified phlebotomy technician I and have completed 20 arterial punctures. There must be a written letter that says you have done the punctures. Then you apply for certification.
Application and Costs
The application process and cost for the programs change from one to another.
For instance, the Allegany College of Maryland offers a one semester class. This suffices for both phlebotomy entry level jobs and EKG technician requirements. The tuition costs and extra information can be found on the school’s website.
The Carroll Community College also has a phlebotomy training program. Students must be at least 18 years old to apply. This program allows students to draw blood from other students for practice purposes only. The tuition fee that is available from the school’s site does not include fees for supplies such as textbooks, background checks or even licensing fees if they apply. The website has more information on this one as well.
An online class is available through the company Phlebotomy Services. This class is three days long, and the two online days must be completed before the third day, in person, can be completed. The company does not make exceptions to this rule for any reason.
The tuition costs of this class are $899. If there are more than three people from a company coming to the same session, $50 are taken off the fee. However, if you register less than three weeks before the class is to be taken, a late fee of $50 is added to the total.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
Everyone has to renew their license within two years of issuing. This means you have completed six hours of continuing education training for the two years and have paid your renewal fee. Maintaining a license includes making sure certification and identification cards are show where everyone can see them.
However, limited technicians and technician Is must have reviews of skin punctures each month and an annual review for competency. For those who are certified as a technician II, the monthly reviews are not necessary.
Salary and Jobs
The entry level salary for a phlebotomist is $21,000 a year. The higher end can be upwards of $43,000. The average for a Maryland phlebotomist is $31,974 a year.
However, location, job, and employer are all large parts of how much you are paid a year. The highest paying jobs can pay $38,755 a year in Maryland, while the lowest can pay $25,818 a year. It’s not bad at all for this kind of job.
Jobs usually deal with drawing blood and testing it in a lab for a doctor or clinic.