While some prefer to work with microscopes, others prefer to work with blood. Those that work with the latter are called phlebotomists. They lead an interesting life, and the education they get is quite different than any other scientist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Montana
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Do you want to start working toward a career that actually makes you excited? If so, an education from West Coast University (WCU) could be the perfect choice for you! This accredited, private University has a history that dates back over 100 years. Today, WCU offers health care degrees that will help prepare you and educate you on the current trends and issues within the health industry.
- MSN - Informatics (Online)
- MSN Advanced Generalist (Online)
- RN to MSN - Advanced Generalist (Online)
- And more...
The requirements for all levels of phlebotomy work includes having a high school diploma or GED. All must have at least 20 hours in a classroom before they apply for certification, and all must have done at least 25 supervised skin punctures. This minimum training allows you to apply to be certified as a limited phlebotomy technician.
To go up a level to phlebotomy technician I, you must have 20 more hours each of time in a clinic and a classroom. In the clinic hours, you must have 10 supervised skin punctures and 50 supervised venipunctures. This allows you to apply to be certified.
For a phlebotomy technician II, you must have had at least 1040 hours of experience in the past five years. You must be a certified phlebotomy technician I, and you must do 20 arterial punctures. A written letter must show that you’ve done the punctures before you apply for certification.
Application and Costs
The application and cost depends upon which phlebotomy courses you decide to take. For instance, at the Flathead Valley Community College, the program only takes eight students in at a time. The cost of tuition for this course is $750. There are 40 hours of classroom time and 100 hours of clinical work experience. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings are when the classes are held.
Helena College University of Montana has a phlebotomy program as well. It takes two months to complete, and clases are usually held on Mondays and Wednesdays. However, there are three Saturday classes. This one costs $1599, but that includes textbook costs. Altogether, you will spend 90 hours in training.
The Lifelong Learning Center offers a phlebotomy class as well. This class has a $399 tuition fee, but extra supplies and textbooks will be additional money. 75 hours will be included in this course, and clinical training is in the morning off-campus. On-campus classes are held in the evenings.
Phlebotomy Services offers a training course for phlebotomists. While it’s valid for certification in Montana, it is three days long and two of them are online. The online days must be completed before you can do the in person experience on the third day. The tuition is $899, and a $50 late fee is added if you register less than three weeks before the class begins.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
Your license must be renewed every two years. During the two years between license renewals, you must complete at least six hours of continued education classes and pay a renewal fee.
Maintaining your license includes doing the classes (three hours a year) and making sure your certification is shown promptly where you work – whether that’s in an office or in an ambulance. If you work in an ambulance, wear the identification card in a visible place (IE shirt pocket or in a plastic holder on a lanyard or zip line on the belt).
Salary and Jobs
An entry level phlebotomist can earn $21,000 a year. This is a good salary if you’re planning to go into a different area of medical science but want a good job while you’re in school. More experienced phlebotomists can earn $43,000 or more, depending upon where you live and where you work.
In Montana, you can earn a median of $24,924 a year. Jobs include taking blood samples, running blood drives, and testing blood samples.