If you are looking for a career or a career change, in New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment, have you considered being a phlebotomist? Phlebotomists draw blood for blood donations, transfusions, research, and blood tests. They work mainly in hospitals, laboratories, doctor’s offices, and blood donor centers.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in New Mexico
- Medical Lab Technician
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
To be a phlebotomist in New Mexico, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The course is several hours of classroom training and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes information about legal procedures and implications involved in phlebotomy. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, drawing blood, collecting samples and specimen analysis. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you’re also required to have excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills. It may be necessary to explain the procedure, or ask the patient about their medical history. As one of the first people a patient will meet, your demeanor and attitude need to project empathy and patience. A skilled Phlebotomist interacts comfortably with patients and helps patients feel relaxed.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory functions, be proficient using various equipment, and willingly to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
Eastern New Mexico University, in Portales, NM, offers “Phlebotomy Technique Training”. This program is 40 lecture hours and 100 clinical hours. Classes are twice a week, during the evening. It is a 2.5- month program and costs $500. Enrollment requirements:
• High school diploma or GED
• Photo ID
• Social Security card
• Payment for course upon registration
• Proof of immunizations
• Liability insurance
When students complete this program, they are eligible to take the nationally recognized ASCP certification exam.
The University of New Mexico, which is in Albuquerque, offers a “Phlebotomy Certificate Program”. This course is a nine-week program comprised of 60 hours of classroom instruction, 60 hours of lab and 100 hours at a local clinic. This program is divided into three courses that are offered throughout the year. The combined cost of all three courses is $2989.
Phlebotomy training is also at these New Mexico locations:
• Central New Mexico Community College in Albuquerque
• Dona Ana Community College in Las Cruces
• San Juan College in Farmington
• Santa Fe
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety and Infection Control Guidelines
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Legal situations in Phlebotomy
• Dealing with difficult people
• Laboratory Tests
Completing the program with a passing grade will earn you a certificate of completion. To work as a phlebotomist, you will still need hands-on practice. And it will be up to you to find a clinical site.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, New Mexico like most other states does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
The job outlook for phlebotomists is very favorable. This career is expected to grow 27 percent by 2022. This growth is a much faster rate than average, for employment growth rates. In New Mexico, the hourly wage for phlebotomists is $14.00-$16.50, which is an approximate annual salary of $27,000- $28,400.
Many cities in New Mexico need phlebotomists including:
• Las Cruces
• Las Vegas
• Silver City
There are many training facilities and job sites for phlebotomists in New Mexico. Why not start your new career here?
More Phlebotomy Training in New Mexico
|SCHOOL||CITY||PHONE NUMBER||FULL ADDRESS||WEBSITE|
|Anamarc College - Santa Teresa||Santa Teresa||(575) 589-3158||Santa Teresa, NM||anamarc.edu|