The red liquid that flows through our veins is the support for not only us as humans, but for certain people – phlebotomists – it’s the source of their salary.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in New York City
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Office Administration
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Master of Healthcare Administration
- Master of Public Administration
Requirements and Eligibility
If you decide to take the test, there are three levels of phlebotomist you can become: limited technician, technician I and technician II. All require a high school diploma or GED.
To be a limited technician, you must have at least 20 hours in the classroom and do 25 supervised skin punctures. To be a technician I, you must do 40 hours each of clinical training and classroom training. For a technician II, you must be a certified technician I, have at least 1040 hours of clinical experience within the past five years, and complete 20 arterial punctures, with a written letter saying you have done so.
Application and Costs
Depending on which course you take in NYC, the costs will change.
If you go to ACE Institute of Technology, for example, you will have to request information about tuition and costs. However, the courses taught here go over infection control, identifying type and structure of blood vessels, safety procedures, patient preparation, methods of drawing the blood, and much more. This course is good for those who are preparing to take the national exam, or those who simply want to be a phlebotomy technician.
Another place to consider is the classes offered by the Manhattan Institute. Here, you have quite a bit of flexibility as the classes are offered in the morning, the evening, and during the weekend. There are several beginning dates through the year, and you can complete the course in as little as four weeks. Topics covered include drawing blood, analyzing data, interviewing, labeling, assembling equipment, and more.
One other place to consider taking lessons in phlebotomy is the Dutchess Community College. You will take 14 credit hours in the first semester, and 13 in the second. This gives you a total of 27 hours in the classroom. You must have current immunizations on file with the school, and must have manual dexterity.
There is one great online program to learn phlebotomy with: Phlebotomy Services. They offer a three day crash course in the subject. The first two days are online, and must be completed before you can do the third, in person day. There are no exceptions to this rule. Locations for the in person day change monthly, and there are only a handful available each month.
In addition, the cost is $899. A $50 late fee is added if you register less than three weeks before the class is scheduled to begin. However, $50 is taken off the fee if three or more people sign up from the same company.
Salary and Jobs
The median salary for a phlebotomist in New York City is $36,703 a year. Entry level jobs average $29,636 a year, and the highest paying jobs average around $44,486 a year. Location, job and employer are main factors in the salaries. Since New York City is an expensive place to be, it has higher salaries than other states – like Idaho.
A phlebotomist is certified to draw blood from patients, run tests on that blood, and run blood drives. Details must be kept in a meticulous manner, and storing them appropriately is also among the job description.