The red liquid that flows through our veins is the support for not only us as humans, but for certain people – phlebotomists – it’s the source of their salary.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in New York City
- Pharmacy Technician
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Brenau Adult and Graduate Studies: Designed with You in Mind
If you are a busy, working adult, Brenau offers professionally focused undergraduate and graduate degrees and professional certification programs in flexible, convenient formats that meet your goals and fit your schedule. Brenau has a rich history of 135 years, with more than 35 years of experience in delivering programs for adults. As a Brenau student, you can schedule your classes in a format that is convenient to you. Many of our programs can be completed 100% online.
- Health Care Management (M.B.A.) Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
If you decide to take the test, there are three levels of phlebotomist you can become: limited technician, technician I and technician II. All require a high school diploma or GED.
To be a limited technician, you must have at least 20 hours in the classroom and do 25 supervised skin punctures. To be a technician I, you must do 40 hours each of clinical training and classroom training. For a technician II, you must be a certified technician I, have at least 1040 hours of clinical experience within the past five years, and complete 20 arterial punctures, with a written letter saying you have done so.
Application and Costs
Depending on which course you take in NYC, the costs will change.
If you go to ACE Institute of Technology, for example, you will have to request information about tuition and costs. However, the courses taught here go over infection control, identifying type and structure of blood vessels, safety procedures, patient preparation, methods of drawing the blood, and much more. This course is good for those who are preparing to take the national exam, or those who simply want to be a phlebotomy technician.
Another place to consider is the classes offered by the Manhattan Institute. Here, you have quite a bit of flexibility as the classes are offered in the morning, the evening, and during the weekend. There are several beginning dates through the year, and you can complete the course in as little as four weeks. Topics covered include drawing blood, analyzing data, interviewing, labeling, assembling equipment, and more.
One other place to consider taking lessons in phlebotomy is the Dutchess Community College. You will take 14 credit hours in the first semester, and 13 in the second. This gives you a total of 27 hours in the classroom. You must have current immunizations on file with the school, and must have manual dexterity.
There is one great online program to learn phlebotomy with: Phlebotomy Services. They offer a three day crash course in the subject. The first two days are online, and must be completed before you can do the third, in person day. There are no exceptions to this rule. Locations for the in person day change monthly, and there are only a handful available each month.
In addition, the cost is $899. A $50 late fee is added if you register less than three weeks before the class is scheduled to begin. However, $50 is taken off the fee if three or more people sign up from the same company.
Salary and Jobs
The median salary for a phlebotomist in New York City is $36,703 a year. Entry level jobs average $29,636 a year, and the highest paying jobs average around $44,486 a year. Location, job and employer are main factors in the salaries. Since New York City is an expensive place to be, it has higher salaries than other states – like Idaho.
A phlebotomist is certified to draw blood from patients, run tests on that blood, and run blood drives. Details must be kept in a meticulous manner, and storing them appropriately is also among the job description.