Flowing blood is usually a trademark of a horror movie. However, this liquid is also the trademark of the work of a phlebotomist. They are the people who draw blood more often than not.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Oakland
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
Unitek College - About Us
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career. Your training at Unitek College will position you to take advantage of the rising demand for experts in allied health, nursing, and technology professions. Our programs include Medical Assisting, Pharmacy Technician, Dental Assisting, Vocational Nursing, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing: RN-to-BSN Degree Completion.
- Pharmacy Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Public Health (MPH)
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
San Joaquin Valley College is an accredited private junior college committed to the professional success of its students and graduates.
Founded in 1977, SJVC has campuses located throughout California-including an Online division and offers a variety of accelerated Certificate and Associate of Science degree programs in the business, medical and technical fields.
- Degree - Medical Assistant
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
A limited technician must participate in 20 hours of theory learning in the classroom. You must also do 25 skin punctures under supervision during an externship. A phlebotomy technician I does double the hours of theory learning (for a total of 40), and the same number of hours in an externship. During this externship, you will do both venipunctures and the skin punctures, 50 and 10 respectively.
Once this certification has been achieved, you have completed one third of the requirements for being eligibile for becoming a technician II. In your past five years of experience of being a technician I, your total work hours should be 1040 or higher. When you complete the required 20 artery punctures, you must have a letter that says you have done it.
Application and Costs
How much you pay depends on the program you enter.
The Oakland Community College offers a phlebotomy course. While the tuition cost is not on the website, there is a phone number you can call for more information. You take 10 credits for the major classes, which cover ethics, law, terminology, and more.
The Kaiser Permanente School of Allied Health Sciences also offers phlebotomy courses. You must request more information from their website, but it covers the most basic of skills you will need, such as CPR and venipunctures.
There is one particular service that offers an online phlebotomy course. However, this course is not recognized by the state of California as one that will allow you to earn your phlebotomy certification. It is a great way to simply get your feet wet before you spend thousands of dollars in a degree you may not like.
Phlebotomy Services is the name of the company that offers this course. The tuition is $899. A late fee of $50 will be added if you register any later than three weeks before the start date. However, $50 is taken away from the registration price if three or more people are registering from the same company.
Two days consist of online course work. Do not skimp or fail to complete this work, however. It is essential to being allowed to participate on the third day. This third day is held in person. The location of this day changes monthly, and often rotates states. So it could be in Montana, Maryland, and Mississippi this month and then in Virginia, California, and Florida the next.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
There are four things you must do to maintain your license if you are a limited phlebotomy technician or a phlebotomy technician I. They are:
be reviewed for supervised skin puncture monthly
be documentary for competency annually
show certification in visible location in the work place or on the person
take three hours of education classes each year
If you are a phlebotomy technician II, you are not reviewed monthly for skin punctures.
In order to renew your license at the end of its life, you must do two things. The first is having completed the required hours of continued education classes for the previous two years, which will total six hours. If you have done this, you can pay the renewal fee and you have renewed your license.
Salary and Job Prospects
For a Californian phlebotomist, the median salary for a phlebotomist is often higher than the country average – $38,101 a year. Entry level jobs and higher level jobs are also higher than the national
average – $30,691 and $46,090 a year, respectively. Since it’s expensive to live in California, the salaries reflect this. Other than location, what your job is and who your employer is also plays a large role in how much you are paid for being a phlebotomist. It doesn’t hurt to have as much education as you can afford. You must have your phlebotomy certification to practice in California, no exceptions.
As a phlebotomist, you will mostly be drawing, labeling, and storing blood.