A phlebotomist works with blood, and is no job for the squeamish. From taking blood samples to labeling them, there’s a lot of work involved in being a phlebotomist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Oregon
- Pharmacy Technician
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Medical Assistant (Diploma)
Concordia University, Nebraska offers accredited Master of Education and Master of Science degree programs online to help advance your career and become a transformative leader. Our M.Ed. and M.S. programs offer the knowledge and skills required in today’s competitive marketplace. These graduate degree programs are also practitioner-based: study real world solutions in class you can also apply to your current job. A reliable online learning system allows you to learn with other adult students, around your own schedule, and wherever you connect online.
- Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Administration
- MHA - Master of Healthcare Administration : Population Health
You can get started on a new career with Institute of Technology. We offer diploma and associate degree programs for careers in the culinary, technical, medical, business, and legal fields.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at www.iot.edu/disclosure.
- Medical Office Administration
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Healthcare Administration - Gerontology (BS)
All phlebotomists have some sort of training. To get into this training, you must have at least a high school diploma or a GED.
The training always includes two parts: an in-class portion to learn the theory and terminology, and an off-campus portion in a clinic to gain on the job experience. Some programs require more in one area than others, but the general rule is to spend at least half the time you have spent in the classroom in a clinic for experience. Some programs reverse it and have you spend more time in the clinic, which is a good thing.
For the most basic position in a career in phlebotomy, you will need to have 20 hours in an approved class room course, 25 supervised punctures in a clinic, and apply for the certification for a limited phlebotomy technician.
The next position requires 40 hours of classroom time and clinic time. During the clinic time, you must perform at least 10 skin punctures and 50 venipunctures under supervision. Training in the field can be slightly waved if you have 1040 hours of experience and a written letter that proves you have done so. 20 hours of classroom time is all you will need before the certification for a phlebotomy technician I.
To move up to a phlebotomy technician II, you must have had at least 1040 hours of experience in the past five years. You must also be a certified phlebotomy technician I. Then you must also complete 20 arterial punctures, and produce a letter that shows you have done so. Then all you have to do is apply for a certification.
Application and Costs
Costs for these training courses vary from program to program.
One class for phlebotomy in Oregon is held at the Lane Community College. Tuition costs are $1,700, and covers tuition, textbooks, and other fees. Only 16 students are accepted to this class, and it’s decided on a first come, first serve basis. Held in the spring and fall semesters, the classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. These are non-credit classes and cover Phlebotomy I and II.
A slightly more expensive course is available from Oregon Medical Training, Inc. This one has three fees: $1,650 for tuition, $150 for supplies, and $100 for the registration. That’s a total of $1,900. This one does not require that an intern or extern ship is completed. Classes are held on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings.
There are other courses available in Oregon.
While most of what a phlebotomy class does is supposed to be done in person, the theory portions of the class can be done online. Phlebotomy Services offers a three day online/in person class. The first two days are done online and deal with technique and theory. The third day is in person. The other two days must be completed before you can do the third day. Tuition costs are $899. If you register less than three weeks before the class begins, you pay an extra $50. These classes work in every state except California and Louisiana for certification.
Maintaining and Renewing License
To renew your license you must complete six hours of classes and pay the fee. This is done every two years, no matter your level of training. Everyone is documented on competency annually and certification must be displayed promptly where you work.
Salaries and Jobs
Entry level jobs will earn around $21,000 a year. The highest paid jobs earn $43,000 or more each year. Location is the biggest factor in how much you’re paid. Phlebotomists usually work with blood, whether it is drawing it or transporting it for testing.