Phlebotomy training programs help prepare students to use micro-techniques and venipuncture to obtain blood samples from patients for medical use. There are accredited training programs available to help prepare students with the knowledge to work in this area. A phlebotomist typically must complete an appropriate program as accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences, or NAACLS. The programs will lead to the certificate of completion. In Oregon, there are five schools with phlebotomy courses, some of which are in Portland, OR.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Portland
- Designated as a 2015 Military Friendly® School by Victory Media, publishers of G.I. Jobs®.
- Each program is designed to instill the knowledge, ethical values, and interpersonal skills of professional practice and to foster values of social responsibility.
- Offers several flexible learning options, including a blended format that combines campus and online learning.
- Several scholarship opportunities are available for students who qualify.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Requirements & Eligibility
Students interested in phlebotomy must have at least completed high school or the equivalent, must have the current immunizations and must be able to pass a backgroung check. Having a two- or four-year degree is not required. Typically, they will be able to work on their careers after four months to one year of education. They’ll learn how to comfortably talk with a patient to discuss concerns over the process, make sample micro-collections, as well as draw blood. Eligible students can achieve three levels of degrees: certificate, Associate’s or Bachelor’s.
Application Process & Costs
Depending on the school, the exact process and cost will vary. In most cases, there is an online application for phlebotomy colleges. You must provide the supporting documentation as listed by the individual Portland, OR school. Be sure to include a transcript from previous colleges or high schools. In addition to this, you’ll need to provide recommendations according to the school’s requirements. If selected, then there will be an interview followed by acceptance.
In Portland, OR, there are five colleges with phlebotomy classes available.
Clackamas Community College
Just north of Portland, OR, Oregon City’s own Clackamas Community College has a certificate program that is approved by NAACLS. Each semester includes either the phlebotomy course or its laboratory practicum. The syllabus includes laboratory skills, healthcare basics, clinical laboratory assistant skills, medical terminology, general education requirements, as well as clinical research. First, students will need to complete CPR and first aid training. Afterwards, students can take the PBT certification exam.
Programs and Tuition: Clinical Laboratory Assistant Certificate, $5400
Lane Community College
In Eugene, OR, Lane Community College has a non-credit phlebotomy program that includes two laboratory courses. Students learn how to choose puncture sites, maintain equipment, converse with patients, as well as extract blood specimens. A year after graduation, working phlebotomists can take the PBT certification exam.
Programs and Tuition: Phlebotomy Training Course, $1700
Linn – Benton Community College
This college offers a 16-week course, offering seats to 24 students per program term. Participants will sit in classroom training for 11 weeks and undergo a 4-week internship to further skill development.
Programs and Tuition: Phlebotomy Certificate, $3500
Portland Community College
Based in Portland, OR, PCC offers a non-credit program for two terms. Topics in this course include lab equipment care, extracting blood specimen and handling the extractions.
Programs and Tuition: Phlebotomy Training Course, $1600
Soutwestern Oregon Community College
The Coos Bay Campus has a 53-credit hour technician certificate program, featuring medical terminology, advanced phlebotomy procedures, speech communication, personal health and lifespan development courses. Students will also gain hands-on training.
Programs and Tuition: Phlebotomy Technician Certifican, $5750
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Some agencies that certify phlebotomists will require five continuing education hours every year to retain their certification. However, there are others that will only require the phlebotomoist to remain employed and to pay a fee on a regular basis to maintain certification. The American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians keeps in close touch with health care locations to improve training in various phlebotomy specialties.
Salary & Job Prospects
As of September 2015, the median salary for a phlebotomist is $30,303. Jobs are projected to grow 27 percent by 2022.