California is one of the top-paying states in the nation for phlebotomists, with over 11,000 employed in this occupation in 2014, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics The process for becoming a phlebotomist is different in California than in most other states. The Sacramento area offers many training options and job opportunities.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Sacramento
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.B.A.: Health Systems Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- We're now Non-Profit.
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
- Dental Assisting
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master in Business Administration - Health Services Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Requirements & Eligibility
California has three categories of phlebotomy technicians: Limited Phlebotomy Technician (LPT), Phlebotomy Technician I (PTI) and Phlebotomy Technician II (PTII). Training requirements and scope of practice differ in each category. All require a high school diploma or GED, and you must pass a written exam. You cannot become a PTII unless you are already a PTI. The LPT program includes 20 hours of theory; you must show proof of 25 supervised skin punctures (LPTs can only perform skin punctures). PTIs must complete 40 hours of theory and 40 hours of practical training, including proof of 10 supervised skin punctures and 50 venipunctures. PTIIs must first obtain a PTI and have at least 1,040 hours of experience to apply for certification. A PTII can perform skin punctures, venipunctures and arterial punctures. Training courses in Sacramento are widely available from community colleges, technical/vocational schools and private institutions. All training programs must be approved by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). The CDPH maintains a list of approved schools on its website.
Application Process & Costs
Each training institution has its own eligibility requirements and application process. Costs vary widely. At Sierra College, for example, the cost is $2,795. At Abrams College, tuition is $2,772 for the basic course. Abrams also offers an advanced course for $975. Some — Kaiser Permanente is one example — have application fees as well as tuition. Expect to spend at least $2,000 on your training. Contact the institution in which you are interested for details. It would be wise to contact several and compare what they offer in terms of classroom training, clinical rotations and internships. Although each accredited program must meet minimum requirements, some will offer you much more for the same amount of money.
The theory portion of the training may be available online, depending on the institution. However, hands-on clinical training under the supervision of a qualified instructor is required. It’s important not to short-cut this portion of the training. Technical skill and competence are necessary to be a good phlebotomist.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
California certifies phlebotomists; it is similar to being licensed. You must pass an examination and submit documentation of your high school diploma or GED, your phlebotomy training and your clinical experience. The state does not require national certification; national certification cannot be substituted for the state certificate. Employers may prefer or require national certification, however. You must renew your California certification every two years by completing continuing education or retaking the exam. There is a fee for recertification.
Salary & Job Prospects
Sacramento is the medical hub for many outlying areas in California. It has several large university medical centers, as well as other hospitals, healthcare facilities, clinics and clinical laboratories. Job prospects should be excellent, and the BLS says demand for phlebotomists is expected to grow at a rate of 27 percent through 2022 nationwide. The average hourly salary for phlebotomists in Sacramento was $19.00 as of May 2014. Annual salaries were also much higher than in other locations across the nation, ranging from $27,629 to $56,810. Wages in the rest of the state are typically higher than the national average of $15.33 an hour.