Do you want a career in the healthcare industry? Would you like the place where you live and work to offer a variety of off-duty activities? Consider the benefits of San Antonio, Texas. The River Walk, SeaWorld, and historical missions, including the Alamo, are all attractions in San Antonio. If you are not sure yet what you would like to do in healthcare, perhaps becoming a Phlebotomy Technician will work for you.
Phlebotomists draw blood used for transfusions, research, blood tests, and blood donations. They also prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, hospices, and other sites such as long-term care facilities, and patients’ homes.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Antonio
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, and different methods of collecting samples. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent eye-hand coordination and precise blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using different types of equipment, and have the flexibility to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
St. Philip’s College in San Antonio, TX offers phlebotomy training. Admission requirements are:
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a drug screen
• All immunizations are to be up-to-date
• Proof of health insurance
• Must have a diploma or GED
• Must be at least 18 years old
The training consists of two courses. Completion of both courses takes approximately 196 hours. The first course is the classroom portion of the training. The second course is the clinical training for hands-on experience. The clinical happens in a local hospital or clinic. The cost is $2,000 for the 16 weeks of training.
Lamson Institute also offers phlebotomy training in San Antonio. The program offered here is unique because it offers cross-training as a phlebotomist, a laboratory assistant or an EKG technician.
Tuition, books, and supplies will cost approximately $14,892. The entire program takes around 38 weeks and requires close to 760 hours. Also included is a 40-hour career development class and a 160 hours externship for hands-on experience. Once the course is completed, students will be prepared to take a national exam for certification.
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training, which is required to work as a phlebotomist. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, San Antonio, TX (like most other cities and states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. In San Antonio, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $29,539, and agencies there are hiring now.