Do you want a career in the healthcare industry? Would you like the place where you live and work to offer a variety of off-duty activities? Consider the benefits of San Antonio, Texas. The River Walk, SeaWorld, and historical missions, including the Alamo, are all attractions in San Antonio. If you are not sure yet what you would like to do in healthcare, perhaps becoming a Phlebotomy Technician will work for you.
Phlebotomists draw blood used for transfusions, research, blood tests, and blood donations. They also prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, hospices, and other sites such as long-term care facilities, and patients’ homes.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Antonio
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, and different methods of collecting samples. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent eye-hand coordination and precise blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using different types of equipment, and have the flexibility to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
St. Philip’s College in San Antonio, TX offers phlebotomy training. Admission requirements are:
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a drug screen
• All immunizations are to be up-to-date
• Proof of health insurance
• Must have a diploma or GED
• Must be at least 18 years old
The training consists of two courses. Completion of both courses takes approximately 196 hours. The first course is the classroom portion of the training. The second course is the clinical training for hands-on experience. The clinical happens in a local hospital or clinic. The cost is $2,000 for the 16 weeks of training.
Lamson Institute also offers phlebotomy training in San Antonio. The program offered here is unique because it offers cross-training as a phlebotomist, a laboratory assistant or an EKG technician.
Tuition, books, and supplies will cost approximately $14,892. The entire program takes around 38 weeks and requires close to 760 hours. Also included is a 40-hour career development class and a 160 hours externship for hands-on experience. Once the course is completed, students will be prepared to take a national exam for certification.
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training, which is required to work as a phlebotomist. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, San Antonio, TX (like most other cities and states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. In San Antonio, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $29,539, and agencies there are hiring now.