Do you want a career in the healthcare industry? Would you like the place where you live and work to offer a variety of off-duty activities? Consider the benefits of San Antonio, Texas. The River Walk, SeaWorld, and historical missions, including the Alamo, are all attractions in San Antonio. If you are not sure yet what you would like to do in healthcare, perhaps becoming a Phlebotomy Technician will work for you.
Phlebotomists draw blood used for transfusions, research, blood tests, and blood donations. They also prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, hospices, and other sites such as long-term care facilities, and patients’ homes.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Antonio
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Healthcare Management programs at the bachelor and master’s level, with undergraduate specializations in health services administration and gerontology management.
- Specialized degrees that provide in-depth study across multiple disciplines, such as law, marketing, business, government, and technology.
- Industry-current curriculum where more of the courses you take are devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Veterinary Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management
- And more...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, and different methods of collecting samples. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent eye-hand coordination and precise blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using different types of equipment, and have the flexibility to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
St. Philip’s College in San Antonio, TX offers phlebotomy training. Admission requirements are:
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a drug screen
• All immunizations are to be up-to-date
• Proof of health insurance
• Must have a diploma or GED
• Must be at least 18 years old
The training consists of two courses. Completion of both courses takes approximately 196 hours. The first course is the classroom portion of the training. The second course is the clinical training for hands-on experience. The clinical happens in a local hospital or clinic. The cost is $2,000 for the 16 weeks of training.
Lamson Institute also offers phlebotomy training in San Antonio. The program offered here is unique because it offers cross-training as a phlebotomist, a laboratory assistant or an EKG technician.
Tuition, books, and supplies will cost approximately $14,892. The entire program takes around 38 weeks and requires close to 760 hours. Also included is a 40-hour career development class and a 160 hours externship for hands-on experience. Once the course is completed, students will be prepared to take a national exam for certification.
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training, which is required to work as a phlebotomist. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, San Antonio, TX (like most other cities and states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. In San Antonio, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $29,539, and agencies there are hiring now.