Do you want a career in the healthcare industry? Would you like the place where you live and work to offer a variety of off-duty activities? Consider the benefits of San Antonio, Texas. The River Walk, SeaWorld, and historical missions, including the Alamo, are all attractions in San Antonio. If you are not sure yet what you would like to do in healthcare, perhaps becoming a Phlebotomy Technician will work for you.
Phlebotomists draw blood used for transfusions, research, blood tests, and blood donations. They also prepare specimens for analysis. Employment opportunities are available in doctor’s offices, blood donor centers, laboratories, hospitals, hospices, and other sites such as long-term care facilities, and patients’ homes.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Antonio
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Pharmacy Technician
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Master of Public Health
- BS in Public Health
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Assisting
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist in San Antonio, TX, you must complete a certificate or a degree program. The training consists of classroom instruction and laboratory experience. The classroom training includes medical terminology, safety procedures, legal issues and related physiological systems. The laboratory experience includes venipuncture, dermal puncture, drawing blood, and different methods of collecting samples. Courses are available that range from six months to two years. After completion of the training program, the students are qualified to take the national level certification exam to become a certified phlebotomist.
As a phlebotomist, you must have excellent eye-hand coordination and precise blood drawing skills, including with the pediatric and geriatric population. You are also required to have effective interpersonal skills and communication skills.
Phlebotomy technicians must be able to perform a variety of laboratory tasks, be proficient at using different types of equipment, and have the flexibility to work extended hours, including nights and weekends.
Application Process & Costs
St. Philip’s College in San Antonio, TX offers phlebotomy training. Admission requirements are:
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a drug screen
• All immunizations are to be up-to-date
• Proof of health insurance
• Must have a diploma or GED
• Must be at least 18 years old
The training consists of two courses. Completion of both courses takes approximately 196 hours. The first course is the classroom portion of the training. The second course is the clinical training for hands-on experience. The clinical happens in a local hospital or clinic. The cost is $2,000 for the 16 weeks of training.
Lamson Institute also offers phlebotomy training in San Antonio. The program offered here is unique because it offers cross-training as a phlebotomist, a laboratory assistant or an EKG technician.
Tuition, books, and supplies will cost approximately $14,892. The entire program takes around 38 weeks and requires close to 760 hours. Also included is a 40-hour career development class and a 160 hours externship for hands-on experience. Once the course is completed, students will be prepared to take a national exam for certification.
Phlebotomy training online offers classroom lecture information such as:
• Safety Guidelines
• Infection Control Procedures
• Basic Medical Terminology
• Laboratory Tests
With online programs, it is the responsibility of the students to find their clinical site for hands-on training, which is required to work as a phlebotomist. After completing the program with a passing grade, you will earn a certificate of completion.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Currently, San Antonio, TX (like most other cities and states) does not require phlebotomists to have continuing education credits to maintain certification; this may change shortly. NHA (National Healthcareer Association) certification is valid for two years along with 6 hours of continuing education.
Salary & Job Prospects
This career is projected to grow 27 percent by 2022. In San Antonio, TX the median salary for a phlebotomist is $29,539, and agencies there are hiring now.