There some pretty odd jobs out there. Everything from mucking out septic tanks to being the person who runs for coffee for writers could be considered odd. Working with blood – like a phlebotomist does – is not an odd job, but a unique job.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Jose
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Healthcare Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Master of Healthcare Administration
One of the world's leading private research institutions, the University of Southern California (USC) was founded in 1880. What began as an academic institution of just 53 students has now grown to more than 38,000. Today USC continues to uphold its tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, fostering a vibrant culture of public service and encouraging students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
- Master of Public Administration
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist you must do two things: have a high school diploma (or GED as that is also accepted in many programs) and fulfill the requirements for the type of phlebotomist you want to be: a limited phlebotomy technician, a phlebotomy technician I, or a phlebotomy technician II.
Each one builds on the previous. At the start, the only requirements are that you complete 20 hours in a classroom to learn the theory, and do 25 skin punctures under supervision. These are the limited technician requirements.
Building on that to become a phlebotomy technician I, you must do 40 hours of clinical experience (and during that time, do skin punctures and venipunctures under supervision – 10 and 50 respectively) and 40 hours in the classroom, learning the theories. However, you do not need to be a limited technician to apply for to be a technician I.
You do have to be a technician I before you can apply to be a technician II. In addition, you must have had 1040 hours of experience in a clinic in the past five years and have a written letter stating you have done 20 successful arterial punctures.
Application and Costs
Where you go will determine the application process and the costs.
The tuition cost at the Bay Area Medical Academy, for instance, is $2,750. Included in this is your textbook, but not licensing and exam fees. This course will give you 40 hours in an externship and the choice between a two, three, or four week course in the classroom. You’ll learn about anatomy, the circulatory system, and much more. After the classroom portion and passing the national exam, you are permitted to work the externship.
The San Jose Safety Training Seminars also offers phlebotomy classes. However, you have to email them for locations and information on costs and other things.
While there is an online class provided via Phlebotomy Services, it is not a substitute for a traditional program in California. It is a good way to get your feet wet, however. It costs $899, and the first two days are online. Once that work is completed, you can attend a third day that is held in person at a specific location each month. The locations change from state to state each month.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
Renewing your license takes a little work. You must attend at least six hours of education classes every two years (more on that in a moment) and pay a renewal fee.
Maintaining your license is harder. You must attend three hours of classes each year (IE the six hours mentioned above), make sure your certification is displayed in a visible place, and be annually reviewed on your competency. If you are a limited technician or technician I, each month you are reviewed on a supervised skin puncture.
Salary and Jobs
In California, the average salary of a phlebotomist is $38,101 a year. An entry level job can earn $30,691 a year, and the highest average in the state is $46,090. Location is a large part of why the numbers are so high. It’s more expensive to live in California. What kind of job you do and who employs you are other major factors.
As a phlebotomist, you will be drawing, labeling, and storing blood for doctors or for hospitals or blood drives. If the latter is the case, you will also be required to keep a detailed record of the donors medical histories.