There some pretty odd jobs out there. Everything from mucking out septic tanks to being the person who runs for coffee for writers could be considered odd. Working with blood – like a phlebotomist does – is not an odd job, but a unique job.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in San Jose
- Non-profit university accredited by WASC Senior Commission
- Professors with real-world experience and student centered approach
- Flexible, fully online degree programs responding to the market needs
- All courses are offered six times a year with clear path to completion and reduced time-to-degree
- No additional costs for textbooks or other fees
- Personal support from application to graduation leading to high retention and graduation rates
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Master of Science in Health Sciences
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Master of Science in Nursing (BSN to MSN-FNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Fitness & Nutrition
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University is dedicated to advancing the health of local, national and global communities. Established in 1997, the Milken Institute SPH brings together the fields of medicine, business and education to develop professionals with the skills and knowledge to tackle complex global health challenges.
You need to have a Bachelor’s degree to be qualified for this school.
- Master of Public Health
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Health Care Administration - D.B.A.
- Health Care Administration - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
- And more...
Requirements and Eligibility
To be a phlebotomist you must do two things: have a high school diploma (or GED as that is also accepted in many programs) and fulfill the requirements for the type of phlebotomist you want to be: a limited phlebotomy technician, a phlebotomy technician I, or a phlebotomy technician II.
Each one builds on the previous. At the start, the only requirements are that you complete 20 hours in a classroom to learn the theory, and do 25 skin punctures under supervision. These are the limited technician requirements.
Building on that to become a phlebotomy technician I, you must do 40 hours of clinical experience (and during that time, do skin punctures and venipunctures under supervision – 10 and 50 respectively) and 40 hours in the classroom, learning the theories. However, you do not need to be a limited technician to apply for to be a technician I.
You do have to be a technician I before you can apply to be a technician II. In addition, you must have had 1040 hours of experience in a clinic in the past five years and have a written letter stating you have done 20 successful arterial punctures.
Application and Costs
Where you go will determine the application process and the costs.
The tuition cost at the Bay Area Medical Academy, for instance, is $2,750. Included in this is your textbook, but not licensing and exam fees. This course will give you 40 hours in an externship and the choice between a two, three, or four week course in the classroom. You’ll learn about anatomy, the circulatory system, and much more. After the classroom portion and passing the national exam, you are permitted to work the externship.
The San Jose Safety Training Seminars also offers phlebotomy classes. However, you have to email them for locations and information on costs and other things.
While there is an online class provided via Phlebotomy Services, it is not a substitute for a traditional program in California. It is a good way to get your feet wet, however. It costs $899, and the first two days are online. Once that work is completed, you can attend a third day that is held in person at a specific location each month. The locations change from state to state each month.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
Renewing your license takes a little work. You must attend at least six hours of education classes every two years (more on that in a moment) and pay a renewal fee.
Maintaining your license is harder. You must attend three hours of classes each year (IE the six hours mentioned above), make sure your certification is displayed in a visible place, and be annually reviewed on your competency. If you are a limited technician or technician I, each month you are reviewed on a supervised skin puncture.
Salary and Jobs
In California, the average salary of a phlebotomist is $38,101 a year. An entry level job can earn $30,691 a year, and the highest average in the state is $46,090. Location is a large part of why the numbers are so high. It’s more expensive to live in California. What kind of job you do and who employs you are other major factors.
As a phlebotomist, you will be drawing, labeling, and storing blood for doctors or for hospitals or blood drives. If the latter is the case, you will also be required to keep a detailed record of the donors medical histories.