With its beautiful beaches and Southern hospitality, South Carolina is a wonderful place to live and work. With the large number of health care facilities in the state, a career in Phlebotomy is an excellent choice in the medical field today. There are a large variety of schools, including technical and online throughout the Palmetto state offering the training needed to become certified, and in a matter of months, you can be on your way to a new career. The following are some of the things you will need to know before getting started:
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in South Carolina
You can complete Southeastern Institute's training programs in as few as 8 months!* Receive handson instruction from caring instructors with practical experience in the fields in which they teach. Southeastern's small class sizes and individualized attention can be just what you need to succeed.
- Certificate in Pharmacy Technology
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Available programs include A.S. in Medical Assisting, A.S. in Occupational Therapy Assistant, and A.S. in Physical Therapist Assistant.
- Program topics include communication skills, administration & clinical procedures, medical terminology, and medical law and ethics.
- Health & Medical Assistant programs are available at many of the 11 campus locations across the United States.
- Public Health (MPH)
- Public Health (BS)
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- CERT Medical Assisting
- AAS Medical Assisting
- Master of Business Admin w/Con Health Care Admin
Several schools and large medical facilities throughout South Carolina offer training in Phlebotomy. Prospective students can choose from traditional or technical schools as well as online educational training. Requirements and course studies vary from institution to institution, however, applicants will be required to be at least eighteen years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED. Applicants must also complete a physical examination, a criminal background check, pass a drug test, and must have completed a certified CPR training program.
Application Process and Costs
The application process and costs will vary depending on the school and the curriculum being offered. The average semester in South Carolina averages approximately $1000.00 for a full time course. In most cases the fee will include books, materials and laboratory fees. Additional fees will be applicable at the time of certification testing.
There are several online programs offering the courses needed to complete the training but before applying, the prospective student will want to be sure the school is authorized by the South Carolina board for the proper curriculum needed for certification and licensing. The prospective student will also want to check the requirements needed through the online program for the mandatory clinical training. Some additional programs may also be offered online for an extra fee to assist with certification testing.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
After having successfully completed forty hours of education from an accredited school, collected 100 samples of blood, and practiced 120 hours in a laboratory, a student will then be eligible to take an examination and obtain a certification and license for a new career. The license will remain current for two years, after which you will have to renew your license. In some cases, employers will provide on the job training because a license is not a mandatory requirement in the state of South Carolina. However, it is beneficial to acquire a license for a larger variety and higher income opportunity.
Salary and Job Prospects
South Carolina offers a large variety of health care systems throughout the state providing a wide variety of career opportunities for Phlebotomists. Many positions are available throughout the state in medical offices, hospitals and even laboratories. Depending on the size of the city, the average income in South Carolina for a Phlebotomist is $31,000.00.
Take time to research several different types of schools including some of the larger medical facilities for training opportunities and the curriculum they have to offer. Check accreditation and South Carolina authorization for certification and license. Check for any additional conditions or costs when applying. Read reviews to see what other students have to say about the school. Know the requirements and hours needed before applying to save you from any future surprises or expenses. Take time to research scholarships and grants as well. With some time and hard work, you will be working into your new career. Before you know it, you will be enjoying work, and living where the sun always shines and the smiles are always free.