If you are looking for a great career within the healthcare industry that provides you advancement opportunities and steady work, becoming a phlebotomy technician could be the perfect choice for you. In order to start on this exciting career path, you will need to obtain the knowledge and experience necessary to flourish within this industry. The first step on this journey is to choose an exceptional South Dakota Phlebotomy training program. You will have various South Dakota phlebotomy colleges to choose from that offer the best certification programs.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in South Dakota
- Career training since 1963.
- Gives you the freedom and flexibility to learn on your own time, at your own pace and in your own environment.
- Complete your education and gain technical skills when and where it's convenient for you!
- Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ®
- Pharmacy Technology
Each university or college has its own standards and eligibility requirements for students. Some of the basic eligibility requirements for South Dakota phlebotomy degree or certification programs include:
• Be at least 18 years of age (a valid driver’s license or identification card will be required)
• Have a valid high school diploma or GED (Documentation will be required; if not provided by the second session of enrollment, your course will be dropped and your enrollment will be canceled)
• Non-native speakers of English are required to provide proof of English proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, or other English proficiency assessments)
• Proof of immunizations
• A valid CPR certification (varies)
• Criminal background testing (varies)
• Drug testing (varies)
Application Process & Costs
The application process and tuition costs will vary from institute-to-institute. For example, if you are attending an online course at the University of South Dakota, you will need to fill out an application for admission that is accompanied by a $20 non-fundable application fee, as well as your statement of purpose. The cost of the associate degree program is $325.50 per credit hour. If you choose the online health sciences degree at Colorado Technical College, you will need to complete 93.5 credit hours, at $325 per credit hour. You will also be required to pay a $125 technology fee, as well as a $150 graduation fee.
If you prefer to take your phlebotomy classes online, instead of attending the various brick and mortar institutions, this is definitely an option. The top online programs in South Dakota are:
• Colorado Technical University
• Lake Area Technical Institute
• The University of South Dakota
• National American University
• Kaplan University
• Allied Health Institute
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
You could receive your phlebotomy training in South Dakota in as little as six weeks, or you could choose to earn an associate degree in 20 months. Even though South Dakota does not have stipulations on certification and licensure, most employers will only hire a technician that has certification, which can only be earned once you have received training and experience in the phlebotomy career field. Most South Dakota training programs offer phlebotomy certification as a part of your course.
Salary & Job Prospects
The median annual salary for a phlebotomist technician in South Dakota is $31,481. The demand for phlebotomists within this state is high, and it is expected to grow by 18 percent over the next few years. When you begin your job search, you will want to choose a city that offers you the best salary, benefits, and working environment. If you want to start your phlebotomy career in South Dakota, these are the top cities within the state to choose from:
• Rapid City
• Sioux Falls
There are many benefits available to students who successfully complete a phlebotomy technician course at one of the many South Dakota schools. Be sure to conduct thorough research for each school pertaining to the phlebotomy degrees and certification programs offered, so that you can make a choice that suits you the best!