If you have a passion for working with blood, becoming a phlebotomist is the job for you.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Tucson
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Get hands-on training with Brookline College. We offer diploma and degree programs in the areas of health care, business, nursing, criminal justice, paralegal, and computer security. We understand that today's student is busy with many responsibilities, so we offer day, evening, and online classes, giving you options to fit school into your schedule.
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
Requirements and Eligibility
If you want to be a limited technician, you must complete 20 hours of classroom training and 25 skin punctures under supervision. To become a phlebotomy technician I, you must complete 40 hours in a classroom and the same in a clinical externship, during which you’ll do 10 supervised skin punctures and 50 supervised venipunctures.
To become a phlebotomy technician II, you must be a certified technician I. You must also have had five years with at least 1040 hours of clinic experience and a written letter stating you have completed 20 arterial punctures.
Application and Costs
The cost you will pay for your program depends on which one you enter.
The Pima Community College, for example, offers a phlebotomy course. You take the Accuplacer exam and depending on your score, you could be accepted. The passing scores are on the school’s website. Once accepted, weekday programs are available as are evening and weekend classes.
The Pima Medical Institute also offers phlebotomy training. You learn to process and collect specimen, how to do first aid and CPR, and more. This is a great program to educate yourself to have a job while you’re training for a more labor-intensive job.
Phlebotomy Services offers an online program for those who want to get their feet wet or who cannot do a full class. The tuition is $899, which is equivalent to some programs and less expensive than others. A $50 late fee is added when you register less than three weeks before your course is to begin.
This course consists of three days. The first two days are completed online. The third day is held at an in person location, which changes from month to month. Generally, they are held in three different states at a time, and in one particular city. The states change from month to month as well.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
To renew your license you must pay a renewal fee. In addition, you must have completed three hours of continuing education classes each year. Since you renew your license every two years, this comes to six hours before you renew your license.
To maintain your license, you must complete three hours of classes each year. In addition, you must be reviewed annually for competency. Your certification must be easily visible where you work. If you work in an ambulance, you can show your identification card on your person in an easily visible place.
You must also be reviewed monthly for a supervised skin puncture. However, this only applies to limited phlebotomy technicians and phlebotomy technician Is. Phlebotomy technician IIs are not reviewed for skin punctures.
Salary and Jobs
In Arizona, the average salary for a phlebotomist is $30,443 a year. Entry level jobs average $24,581 a year. The highest paying jobs in Arizona can average $36,898 a year. Location, job, and employer all make large contributions to how much is in your salary each year.
Your job will mostly consist of drawing, labeling, and correctly storing blood specimens for a doctor or hospital. You may also run blood drives, in which case you will be asked to keep extensive records of patient histories.
Either way, you should have neat handwriting since your work will be used by others to make everything work correctly.