The medical field is one of the fastest growing, and the demand for skilled phlebotomists and other medical professionals has never been greater. With a high level of job security, high salaries and excellent benefits, phlebotomy careers appeal to a wide range of career seekers. Many of these jobs offer flexible scheduling that will allow you to plan your work around your life. There are great phlebotomy training programs in Tulsa that will help you on your way to a secure and in-demand career.
While phlebotomists may work in a variety of clinical settings, their primary task is to draw blood for use in diagnostic testing. Phlebotomists may work in hospitals, in testing centers and in relief organizations like the American Red Cross. Phlebotomists prepare vials for the blood draw, find veins and perform the actual blood draw. They also label vials, store blood and send them to the correct clinics for analysis. In addition, phlebotomists are required to understand insurance and other medical terminology in order to ensure that all samples are routed to the right place and claims are submitted for payment.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Tulsa
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
WTI's success and longevity is due to its commitment in providing its students with the latest information and technology. It does so by continually upgrading its curriculum, lab instruction and instrumentation, and by collaborating with professionals to keep apprised of industry developments.
- Medical Assistant
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- Certificate in Medical Assistant
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
The basic requirements for a career in this field are a high school diploma or its equivalent from an accredited program or school. A certificate or degree in phlebotomy is also required and technicians are required to undergo regular re-certification. People currently working in the medical field who want to break into phlebotomy may be able to take fewer courses and substitute work experience for some coursework. Phlebotomy programs are offered at community colleges, specialty training centers and at vocational schools. Most programs require approximately one year of study for completion.
While each employer has its own requirements, there are some that are universal to the profession. You will be working with confidential patient information and sensitive data, so you will be required to pass a background check as a condition of hire. You will also be required to submit proof of immunization and be tested for communicable diseases like tuberculosis. Some companies may also require you to be fingerprinted before starting work.
Application Process and Costs
Breaking into a career in phlebotomy is a simple and staightforward process. In most cases, you will fill out an application for acceptance in the program of your choice. If you are applying for programs at local community colleges, the first requirement is acceptance in the college of your choice.
Costs of training in these programs vary, but the majority of these courses of study can be completed for less than $1,200. The average tuition rates for phlebotomy training programs is about $1,000. Many of these programs offer grants, scholarships and financial aid that will defray the cost of the tuition.
As part of the program, you may be required to complete a clinical component that includes on the job training.
Phlebotomists are expected to complete ongoing education courses to maintain their certification.
There are some courses, such as anatomy, physiology and medical terminology that may be completed online. For the most part, however, your training will take place in class. Because of the hands on nature of phlebotomy, the majority of your training will include practicing blood draws on test subjects.
Salary and Job Prospects
The Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the median wage for phlebotomists as $29,730. The highest earners will make more than $42,600 annually. The area in which you live, your level of experience and demand in your area will determine your specific salary range.
Phlebotomists are in high demand in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Find the right training program and start your career today.