As the most heavily populated city in Virginia, Virginia Beach offers considerable opportunity for people who wish to pursue phlebotomy. Home to two large hospitals, with more in the adjacent city of Norfolk, Virginia Beach provides a variety of educational and employment opportunities including clinics and clinical laboratories. Several colleges and universities offer training programs in phlebotomy.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Virginia Beach
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Veterinary Assistant
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Requirements & Eligibility
The state of Virginia does not license or certify phlebotomy technicians. Thus requirements and expectations are driven by educational institutions and employers. However, to take the national certification examination or to enter a college program, a high school diploma or GED is required. At a minimum, expect to supply proof of immunizations, documentation of a negative tuberculosis skin test and of a physician’s examination, usually within the previous 12 months prior to admission. Drug screens and criminal background checks are usually required. Some programs may have educational prerequisites like medical terminology. You will probably also need to be at least 18 years of age when the course commences.
Application Process & Costs
Each educational institution has its own application process; contact the institution of your choice for details. Some may offer the opportunity to complete the application process entirely online. If training positions are limited, you may need to complete an interview as part of the application process. Costs also vary by institution. At the Virginia Beach Higher Education Center of Norfolk State University, the cost is $1,150, although books are not included. At Tidewater Community College, in-state tuition is $172.35 per credit, for overall cost of $2,068.20. This does not include textbooks or supplies, and there is an additional fee for a criminal background check. You are also expected to furnish your own lab coat. At East Coast Polytechnic Institute University, part-time students pay less. As long as you take fewer than 12 credit hours per semester, the cost is approximately $444 per credit hour, for a per class cost of approximately $1,300 to $1,800.
Some programs may offer all or part of the theory portion online; check with the institution. You must complete a hands-on clinical component, however, and this portion of the program must be under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Look for a program that offers adequate — at least 40 hours, and preferably more — of clinical training, to assure you have the necessary technical competence to perform venipunctures and other clinical skills.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Virginia does not require that phlebotomy technicians be licensed or certified. Employers, however, may prefer or require national certification. National certification offers assurance that an applicant meets minimum standards of competency and knowledge. To become nationally certified, you must have a high school diploma or GED, complete an accredited phlebotomy course, pay a fee and pass a written exam. National certification is available from a variety of organizations; the tests and recertification requirements, as well as the length of certification, vary by organization. To recertify you must usually either complete continuing education credits or retake the exam.
Salary & Job Prospects
The nationwide hourly average wage for phlebotomists was $15.03 in 2014, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. In Virginia, the average hourly wage is slightly lower, at $15.28. The hourly wage in Virginia Beach was $15.03, with an annual salary range between $21,870 and $39,130. Demand for phlebotomists is expected to remain high for the foreseeable future. The BLS reports a projected growth rate of 27 percent though 2022, almost three times the growth rate projected for all occupations.