As the most heavily populated city in Virginia, Virginia Beach offers considerable opportunity for people who wish to pursue phlebotomy. Home to two large hospitals, with more in the adjacent city of Norfolk, Virginia Beach provides a variety of educational and employment opportunities including clinics and clinical laboratories. Several colleges and universities offer training programs in phlebotomy.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Virginia Beach
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Why study nursing at Grand Canyon University?
- Our bachelor’s and master’s degrees in nursing are CCNE-accredited and the College of Nursing and Health Care Professions (CONHCP) is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
- We provide many options to prepare you to begin or advance your nursing career, including bridge programs and dual degrees.
- GCU provides a low student-to-teacher ratio and a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients.
- Request more information today about program offerings, CCNE accreditation, start dates, financial aid and more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Medical Office Administration
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
Requirements & Eligibility
The state of Virginia does not license or certify phlebotomy technicians. Thus requirements and expectations are driven by educational institutions and employers. However, to take the national certification examination or to enter a college program, a high school diploma or GED is required. At a minimum, expect to supply proof of immunizations, documentation of a negative tuberculosis skin test and of a physician’s examination, usually within the previous 12 months prior to admission. Drug screens and criminal background checks are usually required. Some programs may have educational prerequisites like medical terminology. You will probably also need to be at least 18 years of age when the course commences.
Application Process & Costs
Each educational institution has its own application process; contact the institution of your choice for details. Some may offer the opportunity to complete the application process entirely online. If training positions are limited, you may need to complete an interview as part of the application process. Costs also vary by institution. At the Virginia Beach Higher Education Center of Norfolk State University, the cost is $1,150, although books are not included. At Tidewater Community College, in-state tuition is $172.35 per credit, for overall cost of $2,068.20. This does not include textbooks or supplies, and there is an additional fee for a criminal background check. You are also expected to furnish your own lab coat. At East Coast Polytechnic Institute University, part-time students pay less. As long as you take fewer than 12 credit hours per semester, the cost is approximately $444 per credit hour, for a per class cost of approximately $1,300 to $1,800.
Some programs may offer all or part of the theory portion online; check with the institution. You must complete a hands-on clinical component, however, and this portion of the program must be under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Look for a program that offers adequate — at least 40 hours, and preferably more — of clinical training, to assure you have the necessary technical competence to perform venipunctures and other clinical skills.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Virginia does not require that phlebotomy technicians be licensed or certified. Employers, however, may prefer or require national certification. National certification offers assurance that an applicant meets minimum standards of competency and knowledge. To become nationally certified, you must have a high school diploma or GED, complete an accredited phlebotomy course, pay a fee and pass a written exam. National certification is available from a variety of organizations; the tests and recertification requirements, as well as the length of certification, vary by organization. To recertify you must usually either complete continuing education credits or retake the exam.
Salary & Job Prospects
The nationwide hourly average wage for phlebotomists was $15.03 in 2014, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. In Virginia, the average hourly wage is slightly lower, at $15.28. The hourly wage in Virginia Beach was $15.03, with an annual salary range between $21,870 and $39,130. Demand for phlebotomists is expected to remain high for the foreseeable future. The BLS reports a projected growth rate of 27 percent though 2022, almost three times the growth rate projected for all occupations.