As the most heavily populated city in Virginia, Virginia Beach offers considerable opportunity for people who wish to pursue phlebotomy. Home to two large hospitals, with more in the adjacent city of Norfolk, Virginia Beach provides a variety of educational and employment opportunities including clinics and clinical laboratories. Several colleges and universities offer training programs in phlebotomy.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Virginia Beach
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Pharmacy Technology
- Pharmacy Technician
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Exercise Science: Nutrition
- MS in Exercise Science: Community Physical Activity
- Master of Science: Healthcare Administration
- And more...
Requirements & Eligibility
The state of Virginia does not license or certify phlebotomy technicians. Thus requirements and expectations are driven by educational institutions and employers. However, to take the national certification examination or to enter a college program, a high school diploma or GED is required. At a minimum, expect to supply proof of immunizations, documentation of a negative tuberculosis skin test and of a physician’s examination, usually within the previous 12 months prior to admission. Drug screens and criminal background checks are usually required. Some programs may have educational prerequisites like medical terminology. You will probably also need to be at least 18 years of age when the course commences.
Application Process & Costs
Each educational institution has its own application process; contact the institution of your choice for details. Some may offer the opportunity to complete the application process entirely online. If training positions are limited, you may need to complete an interview as part of the application process. Costs also vary by institution. At the Virginia Beach Higher Education Center of Norfolk State University, the cost is $1,150, although books are not included. At Tidewater Community College, in-state tuition is $172.35 per credit, for overall cost of $2,068.20. This does not include textbooks or supplies, and there is an additional fee for a criminal background check. You are also expected to furnish your own lab coat. At East Coast Polytechnic Institute University, part-time students pay less. As long as you take fewer than 12 credit hours per semester, the cost is approximately $444 per credit hour, for a per class cost of approximately $1,300 to $1,800.
Some programs may offer all or part of the theory portion online; check with the institution. You must complete a hands-on clinical component, however, and this portion of the program must be under the supervision of a qualified instructor. Look for a program that offers adequate — at least 40 hours, and preferably more — of clinical training, to assure you have the necessary technical competence to perform venipunctures and other clinical skills.
Maintaining Certification/License & Renewal
Virginia does not require that phlebotomy technicians be licensed or certified. Employers, however, may prefer or require national certification. National certification offers assurance that an applicant meets minimum standards of competency and knowledge. To become nationally certified, you must have a high school diploma or GED, complete an accredited phlebotomy course, pay a fee and pass a written exam. National certification is available from a variety of organizations; the tests and recertification requirements, as well as the length of certification, vary by organization. To recertify you must usually either complete continuing education credits or retake the exam.
Salary & Job Prospects
The nationwide hourly average wage for phlebotomists was $15.03 in 2014, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. In Virginia, the average hourly wage is slightly lower, at $15.28. The hourly wage in Virginia Beach was $15.03, with an annual salary range between $21,870 and $39,130. Demand for phlebotomists is expected to remain high for the foreseeable future. The BLS reports a projected growth rate of 27 percent though 2022, almost three times the growth rate projected for all occupations.