Working with blood can seem an odd choice for a job. However, if you love blood, it’s quite a good choice to become a phlebotomist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Health Science - Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- And more...
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- And more...
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- B.S. in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- BS in Community Health Education
- BS in Public Health
- MS Public Health
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
Requirements and Eligibility
A limited phlebotomy technician must have 20 hours of classroom training and do 25 supervised skin punctures. A phlebotomy technician I must do a minimum of 40 hours of class room training. As you do your minimum 40 hours of clinical experience, you must do at least 10 skin punctures, and at least 50 venipunctures – both of which will be supervised.
Requirements for becoming a phlebotomy technician II are a combination of having certification to practice as a phlebotomy technician I, and of doing specific training. In particular, you must have a written letter that states you have done 20 arterial punctures (IE, drawing blood from an artery). The letter must be written by a licensed practitioner.
Application and Cost
Depending on where you go, the cost could be higher or lower than in other cities.
The Because We Care school is a good place to start. This is a non-profit organization, and their phlebotomy course covers the circulatory system, ethics, safety, skill training, and more. It is expected that you have had some medical experience before you go to their courses.
The Technical Learning Centers is another place you can go to find phlebotomy training. This one requires that you be 18 years old, at least, and have a high school diploma or GED. You will receive 170 hours of externship and 560 hours of training in the classroom. This gives you a total of 730 hours in total. The entire program is worth 29.4 credit hours.
One online program you can try is Phlebotomy Services. This course is $899, and has a $50 late fee if you register less than three weeks before the classes start. The company also takes into consideration that companies may have their employees taking this course, and if so, will take $50 off the registration cost after three people have signed up.
This course has three days. The first two are online, while the third is completed in person at a location specified on their website a day or two before. If you do not complete the online instruction, you will not be allowed to participate on the third day.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
When you go to renew your license, you must make sure that you have paid your renewal fee. In addition, you must have had six hours of continued education classes every two years – or three hours every year.
Maintaining your license includes a few more things. Everyone must show their certification in a visible place in their office or their person. You will also be documented for competency. For limited technicians, and phlebotomy technician Is, you will be supervised monthly for a skin puncture review.
Salary and Jobs
If you live closer to Virginia in DC, you might make an average of $28,743. In Maryland, you may make $31,974. Either way, a phlebotomist earns an average of $21,000 upon entry and can earn up to $43,000 or more on the highest end of the scale. Location, job, and employer make up what you are made.
If it’s more expensive to live in your area, your job will pay more. If your employer pays more than another, you’ll earn more. It’s simple mathematics, really.
A phlebotomy job, however, requires clean writing and neatness. This is because you will be mainly drawing blood, labeling, and storing the samples. It may seem counter-intuitive, but do not take hits from your doctor about handwriting.