Working with blood can seem an odd choice for a job. However, if you love blood, it’s quite a good choice to become a phlebotomist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- BS Respiratory Therapy - Post-Licensure
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Health and Wellness
Requirements and Eligibility
A limited phlebotomy technician must have 20 hours of classroom training and do 25 supervised skin punctures. A phlebotomy technician I must do a minimum of 40 hours of class room training. As you do your minimum 40 hours of clinical experience, you must do at least 10 skin punctures, and at least 50 venipunctures – both of which will be supervised.
Requirements for becoming a phlebotomy technician II are a combination of having certification to practice as a phlebotomy technician I, and of doing specific training. In particular, you must have a written letter that states you have done 20 arterial punctures (IE, drawing blood from an artery). The letter must be written by a licensed practitioner.
Application and Cost
Depending on where you go, the cost could be higher or lower than in other cities.
The Because We Care school is a good place to start. This is a non-profit organization, and their phlebotomy course covers the circulatory system, ethics, safety, skill training, and more. It is expected that you have had some medical experience before you go to their courses.
The Technical Learning Centers is another place you can go to find phlebotomy training. This one requires that you be 18 years old, at least, and have a high school diploma or GED. You will receive 170 hours of externship and 560 hours of training in the classroom. This gives you a total of 730 hours in total. The entire program is worth 29.4 credit hours.
One online program you can try is Phlebotomy Services. This course is $899, and has a $50 late fee if you register less than three weeks before the classes start. The company also takes into consideration that companies may have their employees taking this course, and if so, will take $50 off the registration cost after three people have signed up.
This course has three days. The first two are online, while the third is completed in person at a location specified on their website a day or two before. If you do not complete the online instruction, you will not be allowed to participate on the third day.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
When you go to renew your license, you must make sure that you have paid your renewal fee. In addition, you must have had six hours of continued education classes every two years – or three hours every year.
Maintaining your license includes a few more things. Everyone must show their certification in a visible place in their office or their person. You will also be documented for competency. For limited technicians, and phlebotomy technician Is, you will be supervised monthly for a skin puncture review.
Salary and Jobs
If you live closer to Virginia in DC, you might make an average of $28,743. In Maryland, you may make $31,974. Either way, a phlebotomist earns an average of $21,000 upon entry and can earn up to $43,000 or more on the highest end of the scale. Location, job, and employer make up what you are made.
If it’s more expensive to live in your area, your job will pay more. If your employer pays more than another, you’ll earn more. It’s simple mathematics, really.
A phlebotomy job, however, requires clean writing and neatness. This is because you will be mainly drawing blood, labeling, and storing the samples. It may seem counter-intuitive, but do not take hits from your doctor about handwriting.