Working with blood can seem an odd choice for a job. However, if you love blood, it’s quite a good choice to become a phlebotomist.
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Medical Assisting - Associate's
- Dental Assisting - Associate's
- Practical Nursing - Diploma
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Medical Assisting
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Billing & Coding Specialist
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Medical Assistant
- Expanded Function Dental Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Complementary and Alternative Health
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- And more...
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
Requirements and Eligibility
A limited phlebotomy technician must have 20 hours of classroom training and do 25 supervised skin punctures. A phlebotomy technician I must do a minimum of 40 hours of class room training. As you do your minimum 40 hours of clinical experience, you must do at least 10 skin punctures, and at least 50 venipunctures – both of which will be supervised.
Requirements for becoming a phlebotomy technician II are a combination of having certification to practice as a phlebotomy technician I, and of doing specific training. In particular, you must have a written letter that states you have done 20 arterial punctures (IE, drawing blood from an artery). The letter must be written by a licensed practitioner.
Application and Cost
Depending on where you go, the cost could be higher or lower than in other cities.
The Because We Care school is a good place to start. This is a non-profit organization, and their phlebotomy course covers the circulatory system, ethics, safety, skill training, and more. It is expected that you have had some medical experience before you go to their courses.
The Technical Learning Centers is another place you can go to find phlebotomy training. This one requires that you be 18 years old, at least, and have a high school diploma or GED. You will receive 170 hours of externship and 560 hours of training in the classroom. This gives you a total of 730 hours in total. The entire program is worth 29.4 credit hours.
One online program you can try is Phlebotomy Services. This course is $899, and has a $50 late fee if you register less than three weeks before the classes start. The company also takes into consideration that companies may have their employees taking this course, and if so, will take $50 off the registration cost after three people have signed up.
This course has three days. The first two are online, while the third is completed in person at a location specified on their website a day or two before. If you do not complete the online instruction, you will not be allowed to participate on the third day.
Maintaining and Renewing Your License
When you go to renew your license, you must make sure that you have paid your renewal fee. In addition, you must have had six hours of continued education classes every two years – or three hours every year.
Maintaining your license includes a few more things. Everyone must show their certification in a visible place in their office or their person. You will also be documented for competency. For limited technicians, and phlebotomy technician Is, you will be supervised monthly for a skin puncture review.
Salary and Jobs
If you live closer to Virginia in DC, you might make an average of $28,743. In Maryland, you may make $31,974. Either way, a phlebotomist earns an average of $21,000 upon entry and can earn up to $43,000 or more on the highest end of the scale. Location, job, and employer make up what you are made.
If it’s more expensive to live in your area, your job will pay more. If your employer pays more than another, you’ll earn more. It’s simple mathematics, really.
A phlebotomy job, however, requires clean writing and neatness. This is because you will be mainly drawing blood, labeling, and storing the samples. It may seem counter-intuitive, but do not take hits from your doctor about handwriting.