Becoming a phlebotomist is a highly-respected profession within the medical field. In a nutshell, the activities of this field include the pactice of drawing blood out of a vein from an incision. This type of process happens literally billions of times throughout a given day within the world, so it goes without saying this is a career that has many different opportunities! If you are interested in pursing this field there are a number of steps that you must take in order to start. This article will outline how the process works and what you can expect each step of the way, so consider the following if you are a Washington resident:
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
At Animal Behavior College (ABC), we're dedicated to helping animal lovers pursue animal careers. Owned and operated by experienced pet industry experts, our school offers hands-on animal career training experience. We offer flexible scheduling and the opportunity to study from home for a portion of the program. For graduates, we also offer the best job placement opportunities available in the nation.
- Veterinary Assistant
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Science in Nursing-Family Nurse Practitioner
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
- Earn your Bachelor of Science of Healthcare Management degree online
- South University brings over 115 years of achievement and tradition to a supportive, online classroom
- Program focuses on the business, management, and healthcare skills necessary for healthcare organizations to run smoothly
- Courses include Principles of Management, Healthcare Delivery and Organization, and Healthcare Finance
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- MS Nursing
- MS Nursing: Patient Safety and Quality
- MS Nursing: Clinical Nurse Leader
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Diploma - Dental Assistant
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Phlebotomy training in Washington first of all begins with delineating the requirements and eligibility of the potential applicant. In order to be eligible to study for a career in this appealing field, the applicant must first be able to demonstrate that he or she is able to complete a training program from an accredited school. Alternately, the prospective phlebotomist can also get a sign off from a supervisor in the healthcare field that a program was completed. The prospective phlebotomist can either get training in the traditional manner through approved coursework or they acquire the needed training working under an individual in a supervisory role.
Application Process and Costs
For those who elect to go for the traditional route, applying to a school to begin their training is the next step. They need to be aware of the application process and the costs involved. These steps would including submitting proof of a high school education and thoroughly completing the college application. Naturally, the applicant would also have to fulfill any requirements that the their chosen institution might have for admittance into their program as well. Per Washington rules, the aspiring phlebotomist will also have to submit proof of completion of a registered AIDS course in order to start their certification program. The applicant will need to be aware of the current fees for the training in Washington state, which begin with a $115 fee for the application and a $20 surcharge in order to check certification preparation.
There are many online programs that are acceptable and matched up to the standards of the state of Washington. There are online phlebotomy programs listed at a number of institutions, including offerings at Rasmssen College, Stratford University and Tulsa Community College. These programs all vary in tuition requirements, with Tulsa Community College being the lowest at just over $7,000 per year and Stratford being the highest at just above $15,000 in annual tuition. It is important to note that enrolling in an online program does not forgo the hands-on component for this type of degree. However, online students can complete their one-on-one training at a local institution as long as they arrange it ahead of time with their professor and present their identification.
Maintaining Certification/License and Renewal
A practitioner in this medical discipline will first of all need to complete a training program through a regionally accredited school or apprentice under an individual already certified in the field as a healthcare practitioner. In some cases, military training can be utilized to help an individual start their career as well. They must also have seven hours of AIDS education training and they must also sign a document that lists all of the felonies (if any), disciplinary actions, licensure history, professionally liability history, physical and mental health status and certification that they are not impaired due to chemical drug issues as well. Continuing education will be required in order to keep the license valid.
Salary and Job Prospects
The starting salary of a practitioner in this field would be around $15 per hour and around $30,000 per year to start. Job prospects are fairly strong, with a projected growth of 27% over the next decade.