Becoming a phlebotomist is a highly-respected profession within the medical field. In a nutshell, the activities of this field include the pactice of drawing blood out of a vein from an incision. This type of process happens literally billions of times throughout a given day within the world, so it goes without saying this is a career that has many different opportunities! If you are interested in pursing this field there are a number of steps that you must take in order to start. This article will outline how the process works and what you can expect each step of the way, so consider the following if you are a Washington resident:
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
Your success is our priority. For more than 40 years, we have dedicated ourselves to healthcare education because we want you to become the best healthcare professional possible. Our instructors and staff are dedicated to providing you with the in-demand, hands-on education employers expect so that you may thrive in your profession. Pima Medical Institute started changing lives in 1972 when Richard Luebke Sr. and his wife, JoAnn, brought to life their dream of providing students with a quality medical career education.
- Certificate - Pharmacy Technician
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Online bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, IT, Healthcare Management, Pscyhology & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Nursing Degree Programs from Grand Canyon University's College of Nursing & Health Care Professions
- Degree Variety: GCU offers a full-spectrum of nursing programs including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, as well as post-master’s certificates.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at Grand Canyon University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu-accreditation).
- GCU provides a Christian environment that provides an opportunity for you to embrace a holistic approach to caring for patients: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
- Depending on the degree you choose, you could take online, evening, or on-campus classes. Speak with an enrollment counselor to discuss your options!
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Sport Management Studies - Wellness and Fitness (Bachelor of Science) - Online
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
You can advance your career with a degree from Charter College Online. We offer several Associates and Bachelors degrees in the business, health care, accounting and legal fields. Our accelerated programs are designed to help you complete your degree as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We help students get not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Office Administrative Assistant
Phlebotomy training in Washington first of all begins with delineating the requirements and eligibility of the potential applicant. In order to be eligible to study for a career in this appealing field, the applicant must first be able to demonstrate that he or she is able to complete a training program from an accredited school. Alternately, the prospective phlebotomist can also get a sign off from a supervisor in the healthcare field that a program was completed. The prospective phlebotomist can either get training in the traditional manner through approved coursework or they acquire the needed training working under an individual in a supervisory role.
Application Process and Costs
For those who elect to go for the traditional route, applying to a school to begin their training is the next step. They need to be aware of the application process and the costs involved. These steps would including submitting proof of a high school education and thoroughly completing the college application. Naturally, the applicant would also have to fulfill any requirements that the their chosen institution might have for admittance into their program as well. Per Washington rules, the aspiring phlebotomist will also have to submit proof of completion of a registered AIDS course in order to start their certification program. The applicant will need to be aware of the current fees for the training in Washington state, which begin with a $115 fee for the application and a $20 surcharge in order to check certification preparation.
There are many online programs that are acceptable and matched up to the standards of the state of Washington. There are online phlebotomy programs listed at a number of institutions, including offerings at Rasmssen College, Stratford University and Tulsa Community College. These programs all vary in tuition requirements, with Tulsa Community College being the lowest at just over $7,000 per year and Stratford being the highest at just above $15,000 in annual tuition. It is important to note that enrolling in an online program does not forgo the hands-on component for this type of degree. However, online students can complete their one-on-one training at a local institution as long as they arrange it ahead of time with their professor and present their identification.
Maintaining Certification/License and Renewal
A practitioner in this medical discipline will first of all need to complete a training program through a regionally accredited school or apprentice under an individual already certified in the field as a healthcare practitioner. In some cases, military training can be utilized to help an individual start their career as well. They must also have seven hours of AIDS education training and they must also sign a document that lists all of the felonies (if any), disciplinary actions, licensure history, professionally liability history, physical and mental health status and certification that they are not impaired due to chemical drug issues as well. Continuing education will be required in order to keep the license valid.
Salary and Job Prospects
The starting salary of a practitioner in this field would be around $15 per hour and around $30,000 per year to start. Job prospects are fairly strong, with a projected growth of 27% over the next decade.