Becoming a phlebotomist is a highly-respected profession within the medical field. In a nutshell, the activities of this field include the pactice of drawing blood out of a vein from an incision. This type of process happens literally billions of times throughout a given day within the world, so it goes without saying this is a career that has many different opportunities! If you are interested in pursing this field there are a number of steps that you must take in order to start. This article will outline how the process works and what you can expect each step of the way, so consider the following if you are a Washington resident:
List of Phlebotomy Training Schools in Washington
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Gerontology
- Do you aspire to fulfill an evolving healthcare role as a highly-qualified nursing professional? GCU is the place for you.
- RNs, pursue your BSN or MSN conveniently online, backed by the legacy of GCU's traditional campus.
- GCU's bachelor's and master's programs prepare students to fill roles in direct care, management, health education and administrative disciplines.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Develop with hands-on practice, online and lab simulations and in depth peer discussions exploring best practices.
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Online Bachelor's programs include BBA, Criminal Justice, Psychology, IT, Healthcare Management & Public Health
- Over 115 years of delivering quality education and personalized attention to students
- Provide a range of campus experiences and services online including advising, tutoring, student community, and career services
- Give students and alumni access to career assistants who help with resumes, cover letters, job hunting, and more.
- Healthcare Management (BS)
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Business Administration - Healthcare Management (BS) (Online)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing: Nurse Educator
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Doctor of Education - Nursing Education
Phlebotomy training in Washington first of all begins with delineating the requirements and eligibility of the potential applicant. In order to be eligible to study for a career in this appealing field, the applicant must first be able to demonstrate that he or she is able to complete a training program from an accredited school. Alternately, the prospective phlebotomist can also get a sign off from a supervisor in the healthcare field that a program was completed. The prospective phlebotomist can either get training in the traditional manner through approved coursework or they acquire the needed training working under an individual in a supervisory role.
Application Process and Costs
For those who elect to go for the traditional route, applying to a school to begin their training is the next step. They need to be aware of the application process and the costs involved. These steps would including submitting proof of a high school education and thoroughly completing the college application. Naturally, the applicant would also have to fulfill any requirements that the their chosen institution might have for admittance into their program as well. Per Washington rules, the aspiring phlebotomist will also have to submit proof of completion of a registered AIDS course in order to start their certification program. The applicant will need to be aware of the current fees for the training in Washington state, which begin with a $115 fee for the application and a $20 surcharge in order to check certification preparation.
There are many online programs that are acceptable and matched up to the standards of the state of Washington. There are online phlebotomy programs listed at a number of institutions, including offerings at Rasmssen College, Stratford University and Tulsa Community College. These programs all vary in tuition requirements, with Tulsa Community College being the lowest at just over $7,000 per year and Stratford being the highest at just above $15,000 in annual tuition. It is important to note that enrolling in an online program does not forgo the hands-on component for this type of degree. However, online students can complete their one-on-one training at a local institution as long as they arrange it ahead of time with their professor and present their identification.
Maintaining Certification/License and Renewal
A practitioner in this medical discipline will first of all need to complete a training program through a regionally accredited school or apprentice under an individual already certified in the field as a healthcare practitioner. In some cases, military training can be utilized to help an individual start their career as well. They must also have seven hours of AIDS education training and they must also sign a document that lists all of the felonies (if any), disciplinary actions, licensure history, professionally liability history, physical and mental health status and certification that they are not impaired due to chemical drug issues as well. Continuing education will be required in order to keep the license valid.
Salary and Job Prospects
The starting salary of a practitioner in this field would be around $15 per hour and around $30,000 per year to start. Job prospects are fairly strong, with a projected growth of 27% over the next decade.